Kippax

Football Pink outside the ground with all the results straight after the game

MEN or the Chronicle had a van out side the rear car park where they printed the paper with all the results .
As you came out of the ground you bought your paper .
That is how it worked before the internet .

Kippax ,
My greatest memory and the biggest event in my life was learning to ride a motorbike on the rear car park of Maine road .
58 years ago on my cousin Derek,s BSA C15 .

I later went on to be a race engineer in World Super Bike Racing .

Greatest memory !!

The walk from Ladybarn to Maine Road on match day .

Meredith Street ,
Rink Street ,
Green Street ,
Ladybarn Lane ,
Moseley Road ,
Wilmslow Road,
Platt Fields Park ,
Yewtree Road ,
Thornton Road ,
3rd (possibly second)back alley on the right .
Rear Car Maine Road .
Perfect Day .
All of the above in reverse .
55 years ago week in week and week out .
HAPPY DAYS .

It was like the pipe piper with all joining in on the way in walk .

Loved & hated Maine Road in equal measures. I was born in 76 so until the present lot, never saw an ounce of success. I was ecstatic with the FA Cup run in 91 but in tears by the time the horses were on the pitch.
I was the generation that missed out on Summerbee, Bell & Lee so had very little to shout about growing up amongst rags.
There were more dark times on the pitch than I care to remember, but, The Kippax made it almost seem a little better.
Wouldn't swap those memories for any trophy.

As a kid sitting on the white wall then watching MOTD to see if I could see myself

Paying the barmaid a couple of quid extra during pre match drinks so she would pour them for us before HT without having to queue up

Standing near a guy next to the bit near where the away fans were in the North Stand who used to shout Get the Sub On from the first to the last minute. Nobody said anything cos he looked hard as fuck.

Mrs Elsie Revie bringing her husband,s cup winning medal into our class @ Mauldeth Road Primary School to show what her husband had won .
All true .
Mrs Revie was my school teacher @ Mauldeth road Primary School .
Approx 59 (ish )years ago .

reward-of-50-view-of-the-kippax-manchester-city-football-ground-maine-A91B64.jpg

Nothing like as direct or powerful as the "Commit No Nuisance" sign in massive letters on the outside wall.

I saw many a lad about to steam into the away fans who saw that sign and thought again. It must have cut millions from the policing bill.

Getting on the pitch, next home match after the 76 final ( I think) and turning round to see a sea of 26000 blue, marroon and white scarves. Plus getting a piece of turf for my dads lawn. He liked his lawn......

Dodging the bottles, coins and other medium velocity objects from the away fans.
Westler boiled beef (???) burgers
Wading knee deep in piss in the bogs
Taking the piss out of Curly Watts
The surge from the back,you could lift your feet up and be carried 10 yards.
Taking the piss out of the junior blues in the Platt lane.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.