laptop batteries

ukmanchesterdan

hello

my laptop batteries now has only about 15min worth of charge before it clicks off.

anyone know if there are any tips to revive it, or should i just buy a new on?

auction294 said:
Lapotop batteries have only so many "recharges" in them before packing up. Everyone falls into the trap of plugging in a laptop when using it therefore constantly recharging the battery. This has a twofold effect of reducing the battery life and conditioning the battery into thinking it needs recharging. You can try fully charging it, then running it completely flat before plugging in and recharging. Do this a number of times and you will condition it to last longer, but you may have already reduced it's life cycle anyway. Don't forget you will probably only get between one and one and a half hours anyway battery life under ideal conditions.

Also by having it plugged in constantly the risk of damaging the DC Jack is high, replacing these is not cheap unless you know how to strip a laptop, remove and resolder a new DC Jack.
I was told to take my battery out when using the laptop at home, as it apparently makes it last longer.

It could be that the battery is buggered, it could also need recalibrating (only available on some laptops) in which case there may be an option to do so in the BIOS settings (press F2 or delete after switch on).

auction294 said:
I was told to take my battery out when using the laptop at home, as it apparently makes it last longer.
~ that was what I was explaining

It could be that the battery is buggered, it could also need recalibrating (only available on some laptops) in which case there may be an option to do so in the BIOS settings (press F2 or delete after switch on).

Recalibrating is the same as reconditioning the battery. It's not done in the BIOS. The BIOS is the Basic Input Output System. It's the PC in it's raw form before an Operating Systesm takes over control. It manages the hardware configuration settings. It cannot physically affect the performance of the hardware such as the battery. It can enable or disable devices but it cannot make the devices perform any better or worse. Technically the BIOS can be flashed for improved usuability or to add additional features to the mainboard, or offer extended hardware support such as recognising a next generation of processor .
Lol, having worked with pcs (programming, building, repairing, these days mainly using them to control test instruments) since the mid 80s I know what a BIOS is and what it does.

Technically speaking recal of a battery (resetting the electronic guage built into the battery) is not the same as recon (cell chemistry used in modern laptops doesn't exibit memory effect to any significant degree) though to be fair in most cases the effects and solution are the same. There are however laptops out there with nonstandard setups (certainlyt applies to some old Sonys) where the procedure is different.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.