Last manager who City fans really wanted sacked

To be fair to Pearce when Keegan went, I think most fans (at least the ones interviewed on granada reports) wanted him as manger so we only have ourselves to blame his appointment and the comma inducing football to come. Plus did the club have any money to bring in a manager.

As for Hughes, I didn't like him but didn't want him sacked as he was doing ok, which compared to the last 15 years was nice. The change of ownership was his downfall. That and his insistence on zonal marking that never worked.

The last manager I really wanted sacked was Frank Clarke. I remember first home game v Portsmouth telling thinking this was dire and remember telling my mate we could be in trouble. I still went home and away that season like an idiot.

Going back in time but yes.... He was the original Hughes but at least he did manage to get us to a Cup Final.

His son was an absolute cart horse. I remember going to Molinuex in 1982... Kevin Bond was trying to give Big Joe an instruction about what to do with the ball. Big Joe was having none of it and it looked like he was set fair to put Bond in the stand. Needless to say we lost 0-4.
You’re right about Kevin Bond but John Bond brought in three players who turned City around at that time, Tommy Hutch, who I thought was amazing for us for that short period, Gerry Gow, what a player and Bobby McDonald (that header). It was great watching City at that time.

Don't have to go back very far, it was pellegrini. So many abject performances after his brilliant first season. The only reason he saw out 3 years was because we were waiting on Pep. If Pep wasn't lined up. He'd have got the boot well before then.

You’re right about Kevin Bond but John Bond brought in three players who turned City around at that time, Tommy Hutch, who I thought was amazing for us for that short period, Gerry Gow, what a player and Bobby McDonald (that header). It was great watching City at that time.
You are 100% correct and I agree, but in response to an earlier question @stonerblue ; was it not Bond that sold Asa Hartford, Paul Power and Hinchcliffe to Everton....? Could be wrong there, it was a long long time ago.... 42 years or more ago.... and we've had a few managers in the intervening period.

What on earth brings you to that conclusion?

Serious question his record wherever he's been has been absolutely dismal. A rubbish style (if you can call it that) of football.

He was a man who was so up himself he'd disappear up his own arsehole.
Quite simple really but obviously forgotten by many.

There were 2-3 times under Wardle and Makin, (and also towards the end of the Sven era) when all sorts of rumours were surfacing about City's true financial position.
That's when Hughes (who had got Blackburn literally punching above their weight) seemed a decent proposition.

Yes, he was a despised rag.
Yes, he was a dead man walking from the day of the takeover
Yes, he didn't cover himself in glory after he'd left

I'm not disputing any of that, but let's not try and rewrite history.

I have to say whilst I acknowledge and accept all the justifiable criticism of Pearce I much preferred him to Hughes. IMO they were both equally inept and disastrous but I felt Pearce had more passion for the club. I thought Hughes just couldn't give a fuck... obviously,

I can’t believe the stick Pellegrini is getting. He calmed a volatile situation, played some great attacking football, won three trophies and took us to the semi finals of the Champions League.

He’s statistically the second most successful manager we’ve ever had and an absolute gentleman too.
Hard to disagree with this, I would imagine a lot of it is coming from fans too young to remember some of the really shite managers we have had, but I guess the thread is 'the last manager we really wanted sacked,'.
The 2013/14 season was a really enjoyable one playing some great football and still ranks as one of my favourites.
Maybe looking back, the first season's success was mainly achieved on the back of previous manager's players tbh. The next couple of seasons I don't think were awful, we did win a trophy and got further in the CL though we certainly didn't repeat the quality of his first season.
Pellegrini did make some poor purchases but we can also thank him for Fern, KDB and Sterling who all contributed massively to our continued success after he left.
As he was a 'stop gap' by all accounts, it must have had an effect on him and the players. I wouldn't say I really wanted him sacked, but it goes without saying we did improve massively under Pep (who it didn't fall into place for straight away but has become the best manager in the world). I liked Pellers but was the right time for him to go, and in truth he hasn't really done that much of note since leaving us has he!!

Pellegrini is doing well with Betis. He’s a hugely successful manager and I’ve very fond memories of his time at City.

Quite simple really but obviously forgotten by many.

There were 2-3 times under Wardle and Makin, (and also towards the end of the Sven era) when all sorts of rumours were surfacing about City's true financial position.
That's when Hughes (who had got Blackburn literally punching above their weight) seemed a decent proposition.

Yes, he was a despised rag.
Yes, he was a dead man walking from the day of the takeover
Yes, he didn't cover himself in glory after he'd left

I'm not disputing any of that, but let's not try and rewrite history.
Cannot disagree with most of what you say but to say Highes was/is rubbish is hardly rewriting history, more like confirming it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.