Last Night's Referee

Dubai Blue

Did anyone else think that last night's referee was a perfect example of how our own refs should start officiating in the Premier League?

He took no shit off anyone. Booked one of their players for waving an imaginary yellow card and then gave a second yellow for dissent. There may have been others that I've forgotten.

At one stage Barry gave away a soft free kick on the edge of the area; you could clearly see that he was about to complain about it but then remembered the referee was being extremely strict and just got on with the game.

Now if relatively intelligent players like Barry can pick up on this within a matter of minutes, even dunces like Rooney would get the hang of it inside 3 or 4 games.

Two weeks. That's all it would take to clean up our game and put the referee firmly back in charge of proceedings.

I thought he was a very good ref, he was consistent throughout, although most around me were saying he was shite. I'd take him over all of the english refs.

bluesmith said:
I thought he was a very good ref, he was consistent throughout, although most around me were saying he was shite. I'd take him over all of the english refs.

Agree with that. Couple of iffy decisions but was always up with play.

ell said:
Far from perfect gave too many soft fouls and no booking for diving but he had a great game
Yeah, I'm more on about how he chose to deal with dissent and general twattishness than his running of the game as a whole. I just thought it was refreshing to see someone who was in charge and unwilling to take any nonsense.

There was a stage where a feared he was going to start handing out cards like mad, but he didn't. Not seen the red card so can't comment (actually didn't see it live even though I was there either, thought it was a scoreboard error until my mate counted 9 outfield players - Rolando and his CB partner looked quite similar too).

But he didn't fall for much of the diving which was great to see. Personally I would have hoped to have seen divers booked more readily but overall he seemed ok.

Typical European game with too many soft fouls but at least he was consistant and made sure the players knew who was in charge.

Not sure I'd like to see the game go down that soft route.

So, considering he's a European ref and that's how they do it, he was pretty good.

I thought the second yellow (red) was given for intent when he tried to cut Kun in half during the build up to the second goal

I'd like to see Prem refs stand firm against the tirade of abuse they receive from players
Throwing the ball to the ground in frustration at a refs decision = No yellow, but a warning. If it happens a second time, yellow card.
Player screaming in a ref's face = yellow. This is intimidation
Player screaming "you fucking ****" (or other similar obscenities) in the ref's face = red

Agree with the OP, good point, (I wonder if he was influenced by us being the home team?)
Poor PL refereeing decisions have sent off several players/unfair penalties etc, I had my heart in my mouth at some of our tackles particularly NDJ and Yaya, but the ref. did well.
I have also watched several CL and Europa games where I have been impressed by the referees lately but the standard is variable. I was not impressed by the Turkish ref in Porto, (6 yellows!).

Dubai Blue said:
ell said:
Far from perfect gave too many soft fouls and no booking for diving but he had a great game
Yeah, I'm more on about how he chose to deal with dissent and general twattishness than his running of the game as a whole. I just thought it was refreshing to see someone who was in charge and unwilling to take any nonsense.
Totally I agree. In the first half the first player he booked he pointed to the "respect" badge on his shirt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.