League cup on level with fa cup

trevorriley

Been thinking about this all season.

The league cup went down in opinion for 15 years or maybe longer, due to weak teams fielded, to many games, always classed as the third English trophy.

But now as a cup to be in, I prefer the league cup to the fa cup ! Shame really as I've watched cup finals since "74".

But from a fans point of view ( forget the worldwide tv and tradition ) the league cup I do enjoy more.

The FA cup is played on a Saturday so it messes up the PL fixtures as you progress. Also the run in for the PL & CL April / May when games are tight has the inconvenient matches for the fa cup being played.

I enjoy the week day night matches of the league cup far more, especially the semi final with a two leg decider, this is far far better than a semi final at Wembley. The league cup final is at a good time of the year, doesn't run in as much with the PL in general due to when the games are played.

Good on the league cup for sticking to its tradition and now coming back up in the rankings.

League Cup winners prize money £100k
FA Cup prize money £2.16m

They're both miles behind the league and CL, but they're far from level.

League Cup winners prize money £100k
FA Cup prize money £2.16m

They're both miles behind the league and CL, but they're far from level.

This is the issue with these cups and the community shield. They actually don't even cover the wages for top teams to compete.

If you don't play for the trophy itself(as Pep has with community shield) what's the point in fielding a good team?

The attitude is to dismiss the cups because of the pot, forgetting we should focus on the cup and not the pot.

The league cup went down in opinion for 15 years or maybe longer, due to weak teams fielded, to many games, always classed as the third English trophy.

But now as a cup to be in, I prefer the league cup to the fa cup ! Shame really as I've watched cup finals since "74".

But from a fans point of view ( forget the worldwide tv and tradition ) the league cup I do enjoy more.

The FA cup is played on a Saturday so it messes up the PL fixtures as you progress. Also the run in for the PL & CL April / May when games are tight has the inconvenient matches for the fa cup being played.

I enjoy the week day night matches of the league cup far more, especially the semi final with a two leg decider, this is far far better than a semi final at Wembley. The league cup final is at a good time of the year, doesn't run in as much with the PL in general due to when the games are played.

Good on the league cup for sticking to its tradition and now coming back up in the rankings.
Fair points,the FA cup seems to suffer from it's timing as the main rounds come at a time when promotion, relegation,titles and Europe play a big part in clubs season and they adjust priorities to suit.
The Carabao benefits a little from it's schedule during the season,and prize money aside it's closer in prestige than it's previously been.

This is the issue with these cups and the community shield. They actually don't even cover the wages for top teams to compete.

If you don't play for the trophy itself(as Pep has with community shield) what's the point in fielding a good team?

The attitude is to dismiss the cups because of the pot, forgetting we should focus on the cup and not the pot.
The players are paid whether they play or not (excl certain bonuses I guess). I think it's more about priorities, and how teams play. We have a luxury squad at the moment because we have spent a lot of money, but spent it well, and a style that expends less energy than others I can mention who charge up and down the pitch for 90mins in every game.

Agree, I'd love to see them transfer some of the PL prize pot to the FA Cup, something like £10m or £15m from each of the relegated teams split on a 70:30 ratio between the finalists, preferably with a CL spot as well.

The players are paid whether they play or not (excl certain bonuses I guess). I think it's more about priorities, and how teams play. We have a luxury squad at the moment because we have spent a lot of money, but spent it well, and a style that expends less energy than others I can mention who charge up and down the pitch for 90mins in every game.
Most clubs pay bonuses for winning a trophy. Winning the 4 league cups may well have actually cost City money.

Rags destroyed both the League and FA Cups with their disrespect to both comps under GPC.

Both are major trophies which we have treated respectfully and equally celebrate winning when we do.

I enjoy the week day night matches of the league cup far more, especially the semi final with a two leg decider

Same here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.