Leeds away 1977 FA Cup

Rivalries aside, the whole documentary (Leeds-The Wilderness Years) is a fascinating portrait of football in the 70s.

In an earlier episode, United travel to Elland Road, and dozens are literally stretchered out of the home end.

The banter and atmosphere at those big FA Cup games back in the 70s was fantastic,far better than the sanitized happy clappy type matches that we attend now.
It was mainly teenagers and young men that attended football matches in those days and all that testosterone made for plenty of aggression and macho posturing etc.
I accept that the world has moved on and that all seater stadia and security such as CC TV have made attending games much safer. Indeed a lot more females and children attend football matches than they did 40 years ago.
Maybe I am just an older guy hankering after his mis-spent youth supporting City.
N.B. I am sure that City played Newcastle at SJP in the previous round of The FA Cup that season and that game was also very tasty in terms of crowd control .

It would be quite a challenge for Pep to play his type of football on that pitch !
We had some great days out in Leeds back then - 4 or 5 car loads of us from Failsworth, usually ending up after the game at the Greyhound pub in Tong (on the back road towards Bradford). That was when Tetleys was a proper drink, not the shite they serve up nowadays. The landlord was always welcoming as we never caused any trouble, just a load of blokes having a laugh and a good drink. That game in particular we innocently gate-crashed a wedding reception being held there, but that's another story......

Went to most inc that game in the 70s 80s never an easy day out, remember walking from a pub up near motorway the wheatsheif or something like that with about 500 leeds wouldn't come near us, another time some Yorkshire twat pulled a knife on me decided to leave it load of lads I knew from Salford jumped of a coach took the knife of him and handed out a good thrashing ha ha never went by train always by car but I do know the journey back to station was very dangerous, but not as bad as the journey to piccadilly.

Heartbreaking day that. Joe Corrigan made that incredible save but Cherry scored with just a few minutes to go. Remember seeing the Leeds fans in their end singing YNWA with all their scarves raised and feeling sick inside. We got revenge for that the following season as we drew them in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and won at Elland Rd in that famous game where they invaded the pitch to try to get the match abandoned. Now that game was hairy!

N.B. I am sure that City played Newcastle at SJP in the previous round of The FA Cup that season and that game was also very tasty in terms of crowd control .
We did. It had snowed heavily & we weren't sure the game was going to be on. I think they'd advertised that game as ticket only but were allowing people to pay at the turnstile, there were too many in the Gallowgate end and a crush developed. They had to move people out and for some reason put them into the area where the City fans were. A lot of fights then broke out and the game had to be stopped while the police sorted it out.

I remember the police formed a line across the pitch to stop fans coming out of the Leazes end to join in. However one daft Geordie pillock decided to lead a one-man charge from that end and threw himself on the line of police. Maybe he thought a load would follow him but none did so he got a good hammering from the coppers.

"and don't bloody move or I'll thump you". Old style copper speak,oh and what a great save from big Joe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.