Liverpool (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

"It's hard to criticise them" but you're not doing a bad job of it.

I don't know how long the most critical ones have been following the club but I'd love to know how they would have coped in the late '90s.

This is the best Manchester City team ever by a very long way and has achieved things that even 10 years ago were beyond my wildest dreams, so I do find it virtually impossible to criticise them.

But what I don't get are the number of people who don't understand that no matter who you are or how good you are, you're never going to be at 100% for 100% of the time and there are going to be off days. They don't deserve to be slagged off in the way that many of them are on here after a poor game - and this after an away draw at Anfield FFS.

Has anybody actually noticed that we're currently no worse off at this stage than we were at the same point last season (-1 point if you want to be pedantic), so all things considered I'd say that's pretty incredible with 2 challengers chasing the title this time around.

Spot on, mate.

Virtually nobody at that stage of last season believed we were going to win the Treble. I remember there were posts that our squad was the weakest in Pep's era.

Objectively seen, it's incredible that we can win another Treble. It's mind-boggling. We are favourites in all three competitions. And very few would bet big money against us.

Now, it may turn out that we don't have enough in the tank this year. It's normal. But it's anyone's guess.

I think the game with Arsenal will indicate where we are. I think it is going to be very difficult. If we win, it will be 2:1 or 3:2. But IF we win, we can go all the way.

I actually can’t see the logic in Alvarez starting. His touch is crap and he constantly gives the ball away. He was the weak link today as he has been on numerous occasions. He’s a good striker, but poor anywhere else. He started as Pep is clearly aware that Doku is a liability as he can’t track back. Jack obviously would start but is injured. We will work it out..
I wouldn't disagree with that. As it happens I said before the game I thought Kova alongside Rodri would have been my choice. Pep clearly felt that Alvarez would be a better option but, as you say he turned out to be the weak link.

You confident that that we don’t drop more points either
Our run in is a lot harder than theirs
Just think we scaled the heights last season and we’re now feeling it
Losing Gundo and Mahrez and not adequately replacing them is taking its toll
We’re still good, don’t get me wrong, but there’s an extra team in this years title race we have to contend with, which we’ve never had to do before
I agree about Gundo and Mahrez.

And both those teams couldn’t contend with just ourselves on their shoulder.
The pressure on them has doubled.

And they have cup games to get by too.

That gold badge is firing up our opponents.
Klopp got his pressing tactics right today. Doing just enough in the first half. And took the game by the scruff of the neck in the second.

They pushed us back and we couldn’t really get out. Losing possession because we couldn’t set.
They still didn’t beat us though. We had the desire but lacked the composure.

Overall poor performance. I can't stand the "would have taken a point beforehand" crowd. We are the treble winners, we should be taking 3 every game. Then you look at Liverpools starting 11. Players either werent up for it, intimidated, i dont know. almost everyone was poor today.

Ake is a nice 1v1 defender, not a great passer and slow as shit in space.

Walker is a chicken without a head. Complete liability. Loses the ball everywhere. I never want to see him past the halfway line. Offers nothing up there and then puts himself out of position to do the only thing hes decent at which is defending.

Kev was invisible today. His touch and shot have been off the last 2-3 games after his nice run of G/A.

Alvarez was dreadful. Pep needed to swallow his pride and pull him at half.

Not having Dias in that backline showed. We were all over the place. Hanging on by a thread for 98 minutes.

Where is the TREBLE WINNING backline we used last year? Dias is the only leader in the back. Keeps us lined up, keeps composure, motivates.

Rodri was all alone in the middle today for most of the game. You'd look up and Stones is further up field from him, KDB and Bernardo no where close.

Gotta give them credit, they outplayed us, and probably deserves the 3 points. We were lucky not to concede another.

I wouldn't disagree with that. As it happens I said before the game I thought Kova alongside Rodri would have been my choice. Pep clearly felt that Alvarez would be a better option but, as you say he turned out to be the weak link.
Absolutely my thoughts, Kovacic next to Rodders was a no brainer imo, I like Alvarez, but not for this game, our formation/team suited them more than us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.