Love & Mercy (Brian Wilson Film)

IanBishopsHaircut

Watched this the other night..anyone else seen it?

It's about the life of Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame

John Cusack stars

Really enjoyed it but so sad...the guy spent 3 years in bed..and was heavily medicated and manipulated by his personal doctor

Well worth a watch though

The Beach Boys were an incredible band IMO and Brian was a genius

^ Not seen it yet, heard that Paul Dano does a brilliant job as the young Brian.

Did go see Brian at the apollo a few weeks back, really enjoyed it and it was great Al Jardine was in the band too.

^ Not seen it yet, heard that Paul Dano does a brilliant job as the young Brian.

Did go see Brian at the apollo a few weeks back, really enjoyed it and it was great Al Jardine was in the band too.

Yeah I missed him due to other commitments...Paul steals the show for me as young Brian...like I said...it's a great film tinged with sadness

One thing is for sure...his dad was a ****

Brian's Dad Murry was too keen for his son to have the successful music career that eluded Murry during his attempts.
He was concerned that the sensetive, laconic Brian would squander his talent and bullied him into keep working flat out until the dollars rolled him.
In short, he was indeed a c*nt.

Very good film, I thought. Wilson's dad was a complete monster.

Watched it the other day but, whilst I knew of Brian Wilson's drug problems, I had no idea what a nasty manipulative character Eugene Landy, his 'therapist' was. Seemed to dictate who he could and couldn't see, what he could and couldn't eat whilst seemingly living the life of luxury on the back of Wilson's success.

Bodyguards & minders hand-picked by Landy (included on the payroll his own son) were used to monitor everything Wilson did and report back whilst Landy himself seemed to piggyback off the former Beach Boy's success getting unwarranted musical credits on Wilson's work!! Eventually, the ridiculous quantity of drugs he was using to control him came to light and action was taken to remove Landy's influence.

Paul Dano is superb as the younger Brian completely engrossed in producing the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album whilst John Cusack, as the older drug-controlled Brian, possibly different facially to the true Brian Wilson, is however mesmering in his portrayal. Paul Giamatti is, even according to Wilson who suffered flashbacks when he previewed the movie due to his likeness & voice match, as always, a great actor to play tough parts like Eugene Landy and Elizabeth Banks as his eventual wife Melinda Ledbetter plays a good positive role in her portrayal as the woman who ultimately saved Wilson due to actions.

Well worth a watch even if it's just to listen to some great Beach Boys classic songs .... give it a go!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.