Lucy Bronze joins Lyon

Aren't Lyon the European champions ?

Yes but the Lyon side that won back to back Champions league has pretty much come to the end of it's cycle. I was there at Craven Cottage in 2011 when they could afford to have players like Dickermann and Le Sommer on the bench. That side peaked a year later. The loss of Necib last year was bad , imagine Messi quitting at age 28-29. Camille Abily is now almost 33 , they lost their next best play Amandine Henry recently to PSG. They have Renard, Marozsan, Le Sommer and a misfiring Ada Hegerberg left. Bussaglia from 2012 is now at Barcelona and the rest are much or a muchness. They won't come close to winning their own league next year let alone the Champions league.
There champions league win last season was on penalties despite them been nowhere near the best side in the tournament. Much like Chelsea 2012 with Lampard , Terry etc.

Last edited:
Yes but the Lyon side that won back to back Champions league has pretty much come to the end of it's cycle. I was there at Craven Cottage in 2011 when they could afford to have players like Dickermann and Le Sommer on the bench. That side peaked a year later. The loss of Necib last year was bad , imagine Messi quitting at age 28-29. Camille Abily is now almost 33 , they lost their next best play Amandine Henry recently to PSG. They have Renard, Marozsan, Le Sommer and a misfiring Ada Hegerberg left. Bussaglia from 2012 is now at Barcelona and the rest are much or a muchness. They won't come close to winning their own league next year let alone the Champions league.
There champions league win last season was on penalties despite them been nowhere near the best side in the tournament. Much like Chelsea 2012 with Lampard , Terry etc.
Thanks, whats the player we're getting from them like ?

Sad to see Lucy go. Best City player by far. That said I think here are Salary caps coming soon which would explain the departure of our two highest profile players.

Lucy Bronze was our only truly world class player and is irreplaceable but City correct to let her go now, she deserves to play for the best team in the world.
Where does this leave City Women?
Actually I think swapping Duggan for Beemer massively strengthens us:
1. Defence is our strength and Mie Jans (when fit) is a strong addition.
2. Toni Duggan had many strengths but : her first touch was poor, her goal scoring was often spectacular but she was not clinical, she did not fit in with City's crisp passing style.
3. Pauline Bremer is a clinical finisher, strong in the air, and links midfield with attack.
4. Nick Cushings strategy of youth development is a good alternative to Arsenal and Chelsea's spending spree - signing under 23's talent to join Keira Walsh and Nikita Parris (Mel Lawley, Claire Emslie, Pauline Bremer) and youth development (Georgia Stanway, Ellie Roebuck, Ella Toone etc)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.