Manager sack race 2017 / 2018

Had a 48 percent win rate at Preston and 43 plus at Everton - 3 times manager of the season.

He was on a no win situation at the rags and Sunderland. Anyone taking over from the piss can was on a hiding to nothing. Likewise at Sunderland he had no budget and ageing players. I will stick to my view - he is nowhere near as bad as being made out. I read a book a while back can’t remember the name of the guy but he was a physio at Preston and Everton and described Moyes in detail. He is a huge step up from bilic - West Ham have been dire this season and are so disorganised. I will have a gentlemen’s bet with anyone that if he gets the West game job they will get well clear of the bottom 5.

Hope he is still available when Pep leaves, to take up our reins.

Had a 48 percent win rate at Preston and 43 plus at Everton - 3 times manager of the season.

He was on a no win situation at the rags and Sunderland. Anyone taking over from the piss can was on a hiding to nothing. Likewise at Sunderland he had no budget and ageing players. I will stick to my view - he is nowhere near as bad as being made out. I read a book a while back can’t remember the name of the guy but he was a physio at Preston and Everton and described Moyes in detail. He is a huge step up from bilic - West Ham have been dire this season and are so disorganised. I will have a gentlemen’s bet with anyone that if he gets the West game job they will get well clear of the bottom 5.

The position at Sunderland is a fair point.
However, he inherited a team that had finished the season losing only 1 game in 11.
Fat Sam got a tune out of them, yet after the second game, he was admitting that a relegation fight was ahead.
He is/was so demotivating it is untrue....if the players aren't technically good enough, that is one thing....but at least fire them up with motivation....
He was clueless in that aspect.

He was on a no win situation at the rags and Sunderland. Anyone taking over from the piss can was on a hiding to nothing. Likewise at Sunderland he had no budget and ageing players.
So why couldn't he see that?

Well; Preston were in the third tier when he took over at Deepdale and he managed to get them into the Championship (Division 1, as it was called back then. But two things about that;
1. He left Preston in March 2002, well over 15 years ago. The footballing landscape has totally changed in the meantime.
2. Not sure of the relevance of managing a team in the lower division(s) on getting a side out of the relegation scrap.

As for Everton; yes, he did a good job there in his 11 years at the helm. Though, for a "big club", they didn't (IIRC) win a major honour in that time. I agree with you about the vermin job; whoever took that poisoned chalice was on a loser. Even if wee Davey had won a double in his first season, it'd be a case of "Well; pisscan won x of them". Whoever took that job was in a no-win situation. The fact is, though; he failed. Plus, his infamous "we aspire to be like City" comment would not have gone down well amongst the hordes of daytrippers, gloryhunters and various ne'er do wells that populate the Meccano Set. He couldn't hack it in Spain, at a mid-ranking club. Alright, the language and different footballing culture may have been factors, but surely he was aware of them before he agreed to take the gig? And his time at Sunderland was disastrous. You quoted his win percentages at Preston and Everton; how does 18% at Sunderland grab you? There's a saying in football; you're only as good as your last game. How does three managerial failures in a row rank?

I'd be very worried if I was a west Ham fan. One of these British stalwarts (Hughes, fat Sam, moyes, Hodgson etc) is not what they need right now. It's asking for a slow death.
A young, ambitious, technically gifted foreign manager is what's needed. He might have to take them a step back before taking steps forward but ultimately build them up.
It's looking like the board aren't prepared to see that far ahead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.