Manchester City v Manchester United, FA Cup 4th round 1955.

Apparently that was United's first red card in 6 years, since 1949 (also against City).

I think that match in the clip was the same year as City's 5-0 win at OT, our biggest at the swamp until the sick swan equaled it.

Ken Barnes said of the red card: "Funnily enough the thing I remember most about the Cup game, was that their centre half, Allenby Chilton, got sent off. They get sent off for anything nowadays of course, but back then it was still a rarity. You usually had to have a corpse, or at least the chalk outline of where the corpse had been, to see a sending off. I don’t remember the tackle being anything that you didn’t see week in and week out back then. In fact I was close by as it happened and I told the referee not to send him off."

an odd one! maybe called the ref a vagabond or something.
He was nicknamed "Chopper Chilton", must have had plenty of previous, and on Referees watchlist ?

Went to that game as a 7 year old, me and a pal who supported united. Waited at the turnstile and crept in between somebodies legs as they were paying. As my mate went through he noticed a red rosette beneath the turnstile and crept back in to get it. Now we both had a rosette, one red one blue. When we got on the Kippax we couldn't see a thing so I pretended to be ill and we both got passed over heads to the St John ambulance people who walked us round to the players tunnel. This was before the game started. As the players ran out the only one I recognised was Roy Clarke as I had been in his shop the Christmas before to buy my first City kit. When the game started we were kept in the tunnel to make sure we were ok. This wasn't the plan! So we had to mither them I was ok and then the St John ambulence people took us out and we watched the game sat on a bench with them at the corner of the scoreboard end and Kippax. A long time ago but still remembered as an exciting day till we got home and said where we had been.

Went to that game as a 7 year old, me and a pal who supported united. Waited at the turnstile and crept in between somebodies legs as they were paying. As my mate went through he noticed a red rosette beneath the turnstile and crept back in to get it. Now we both had a rosette, one red one blue. When we got on the Kippax we couldn't see a thing so I pretended to be ill and we both got passed over heads to the St John ambulance people who walked us round to the players tunnel. This was before the game started. As the players ran out the only one I recognised was Roy Clarke as I had been in his shop the Christmas before to buy my first City kit. When the game started we were kept in the tunnel to make sure we were ok. This wasn't the plan! So we had to mither them I was ok and then the St John ambulence people took us out and we watched the game sat on a bench with them at the corner of the scoreboard end and Kippax. A long time ago but still remembered as an exciting day till we got home and said where we had been.

Sound like you were always a wrongun

I’m sorry.

As much as I would love to watch it, I’ve made a self-imposed rule that I won’t look at previous derby footage in the week running up to one.

I’ve done it in the past, and we’ve lost the upcoming game, so if I think about it next week, I’ll have a look.

Apparently that was United's first red card in 6 years, since 1949 (also against City).

I think that match in the clip was the same year as City's 5-0 win at OT, our biggest at the swamp until the sick swan equaled it.

Ken Barnes said of the red card: "Funnily enough the thing I remember most about the Cup game, was that their centre half, Allenby Chilton, got sent off. They get sent off for anything nowadays of course, but back then it was still a rarity. You usually had to have a corpse, or at least the chalk outline of where the corpse had been, to see a sending off. I don’t remember the tackle being anything that you didn’t see week in and week out back then. In fact I was close by as it happened and I told the referee not to send him off."

an odd one! maybe called the ref a vagabond or something.
A bounder?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.