Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people watching today's game still think we don't need Ter Stegen, I don't know what else to say.

Has to be a priority.

Has to be.

Today showed why, the very foundation of our side under Pep relies on a confident goalkeeper at the back, acting as a sweeper and comfortable playing it out the back.

And we didn't have that today, at all.

Caballero is better at it than Joe, and gave it a go, but there were still examples of him doing it very poorly, leading to chances for Arsenal, Kolarov culpable too.

Joe came on and just hoofed it away anytime there was the vaguest hint of pressure from Arsenal, I even noticed that he instructed Tosin to play it across the face of his open goal as he was stood at the byline where another keeper would welcome it to feet as an outlet. Staggering.

Just isn't going to work.

Then you have the usual beaten by a tame effort to his left for the equaliser, and poor positioning for the third, rooted to his line and late to come off it while our back four is high up the pitch.

It just isn't going to work. Neither are good enough.

Ter Stegen has to be a priority.

Whilst I agree with all your observations, which are bang on for me, if we were going to spend silly money on a keeper, it would be Lloris for me.

Very underrated.

It's no accident that people are shooting to his left - given an option. Even more worrying every team will press our present keepers in possession until we find someone competent or Pep adapts his tactics (not easily done).

We'll have 2 new keepers next season

Ter Stegen wasn't mentioned by a single soul prior to the window opening, are those saying we "need" him just saying so because he's the one that's linked or because they've been dying to sign him for ages but just secretly?

Whilst I agree with all your observations, which are bang on for me, if we were going to spend silly money on a keeper, it would be Lloris for me.

Very underrated.
Lloris underrated?

He's massively overrated. No where near one of the worlds best keepers.

Very underrated.

Don't think Spurs would part with him unless it was crazy money though mate, and while he's most certainly an upgrade on what we have, he doesn't quite excel at the 'sweeper keeper' role as Ter Stegen does.

Honestly think the only keeper that's better than him at it is Neuer. He's like an extra outfield player.

It's just a question of whether or not he rounds his game with regular playing time and his actual goalkeeping catches up.

I think he's a solid enough goalkeeper in terms of his actual goalkeeping, shot stopping, commanding his area etc, but he's definitely not world class in those departments yet. Although you'd expect improvement given his age and promise.

It'd be a punt but I think it'd be worth it. Not at all convinced we'd have to pay over £30m either.

Honestly think it'd be the best signing we made this summer if we pulled it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.