Marcos Lopes

Excellent game from the young lad, 2 assists and his work ethic and getting stuck in will have done his prospects of future first team chances a world of good. Did not look out of place at all which is a good sign of some decent ability. Hope he continues to build on this performance by getting a chance against Watford and playing well.

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
Not everything he did was technically perfect but it was the general authority with which he was playing that was astonishing. Every movement, every run was saying "yeah, I'm here and I have every right to be here, and you're going to be hearing a lot more about me". By comparison, Boyata seems to be shivering over in his corner as if he knows he's going to be found out - which, by the way, I'm not rushing to judge,at this level. (How do they compare age-wise, just out of interest?)

You just saved me a whole load of typing, thank you.

I hope he's playing against Watford.

If he was playing for Utd and put in one decent performance like he did last night, the press would be all over him and labeling him the new Ronaldo. With it being us, he will more than likely be ignored for a few months, 1, because he didn't cost millions and 2, they all seem to be under the impression we don't have any quality young players. Will be even more pleasing over the next couple of years watching him surpass that "yanners-eye" lad.

Nice little article on the Daily Mail

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2543866/IN-THE-SPOTLIGHT-Marcos-Lopes-City-teenager-likened-Tevez-clubs-youngest-scorer-hes-got-assists-Januzaj.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... nuzaj.html</a>

So, who is this guy I'm hearing whispers about?

Name: Marcos Lopes

Club: Manchester City

Position: Attacking midfielder

Star man: Marcos Lopes was man-of-the-match as he laid on two goals during Man City's 3-0 win at West Ham
Star man: Marcos Lopes was man-of-the-match as he laid on two goals during Man City's 3-0 win at West Ham

History boy: Lopes became the club's youngest-ever scoring after netting on his debut against Watford in the FA Cup
History boy: Lopes became the club's youngest-ever scoring after netting on his debut against Watford in the FA Cup

I’m going to need more than that…

Born in Brazil but moving to Portugal as a four-year-old, Lopes was just 15 when he was snapped up from Benfica at a cost of £790,000. His family moved to Manchester in a bid to help him settle and within a year he had joined the senior squad on their pre-season tour of the Far East.

At the time, City coach David Platt commented: ‘We have not brought Marcos out just to make the numbers up but because everything we have seen and been told from within the club suggested he could cope at this level.’

He is a Portugal youth international and has appeared for City on four occasions. He became the club’s youngest-ever scorer when, aged 17 years and eight days, he slotted home just two minutes after coming on for his debut during last season’s 3-0 FA Cup victory over Watford and was academy player of the year last season.

So why the fuss?

Lopes was the star of the show as City booked their place in the League Cup final courtesy of Tuesday night’s 3-0 victory at West Ham, Manuel Pellegrini’s side advancing with a 9-0 aggregate scoreline. He laid on the first two goals for Alvaro Negredo and Sergio Aguero.

And, afterwards, his boss was effusive in his praise of the teenager. ‘Marcos is a young player with a great future,’ said Pellegrini. ‘He is just 18 years old and played with the personality he needs to play in our team.

‘I see him work every day of the week, so I was sure he would realise the kind of performance he put on. I’m very happy for him because he deserves to do it - and he is a very important player for the future of the club.’

What’s his style?

Lopes is an attacking midfielder who can terrorise a backline from any domain, be it out wide or through the centre. He is well built with a low centre of gravity and a thunderous left boot.

He needs no invitation for a daring dribble or attempt on goal and, as Negredo will testify, his crossing isn’t too bad either; the City striker having headed home from Lopes’ sweet delivery after just three minutes at Upton Park.

So, a bit like…

Former City forward Carlos Tevez is the first player who springs to mind; for there is a terrier-like ethic to Lopes’ game but no shortage of skill either. Obvious comparison, however, has been drawn with city rival Adnan Januzaj.

Likeness: Lopes has been compared to former City striker Carlos Tevez

Rival: Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj is the same age as Lopes

Idol: Lopes is nicknamed 'Rony' in honour of former Brazil striker Ronaldo

Both just 18 and blessed with eye-catching flair, United’s starlet has undeniably made a bigger impression this season and is one of the most talked-about talents in world football. But, as City fans will no doubt remind you, Lopes – with two assists – has created as many goals as Januzaj this season.

Lopes' nickname is Rony and his Twitter handle is, indeed, @Rony10Lopes. It is not, however, a nod to compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo but rather a tag in honour of the original ‘Ronaldo’, the former Brazil striker.

How much is he worth?

A value is pretty much academic given his residence at City; for he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. He was worth nearly £800,000 as a 15-year-old and so, three years on and with his development well on track, you’d guess his worth has way exceeded a seven-figure sum.

How will he fit in?

He was deployed on the left-hand side of midfield against West Ham and, given the injury to Samir Nasri earlier this month, Lopes could well be thrust onto the Premier League stage over the coming weeks.

If he keeps laying on goals for the likes of Negredo and Aguero then they could be leading the calls to give the youngster his top-flight bow.

Everyone has a weakness…

His biggest obstacle could be the galaxy of stars which stand between him and the first team. We mentioned the injury to Nasri perhaps opening a door, but the likes of James Milner, David Silva and Jesus Navas are higher up the pecking order and patience could be the key for Lopes.

You're the man: Alvaro Negredo thanks Lopes for the cross which supplied the first goal against West Ham
You're the man: Alvaro Negredo thanks Lopes for the cross which supplied the first goal against West Ham

Expectation is another pitfall which he will have to negotiate, hope having been amplified given his impressive introduction.

What happens next?

He has scored five goals from four appearances for City in the UEFA Youth League this season and he will continue his development as captain of the Under-19 squad. Brazilian Fernandinho is said to have taken young Lopes under his wing and all he can do is seize his senior chance when it does come along.

On the evidence of his man-of-the-match display against the Hammers, however, he could well be ready for a prolonged stay around the first-team squad.

dan.j.mcfc said:
If he was playing for Utd and put in one decent performance like he did last night, the press would be all over him and labeling him the new Ronaldo. With it being us, he will more than likely be ignored for a few months, 1, because he didn't cost millions and 2, they all seem to be under the impression we don't have any quality young players. Will be even more pleasing over the next couple of years watching him surpass that "yanners-eye" lad.

I'm glad they're not. He needs to keep his feet on the ground and continue to develop. Last thing we need is the media to big him up and him believing his own hype and so doesn't fulfil his potential.

RandomJ said:
dan.j.mcfc said:

I'm glad they're not. He needs to keep his feet on the ground and continue to develop. Last thing we need is the media to big him up and him believing his own hype and so doesn't fulfil his potential.

Yeah I suppose that's true. Like I said earlier, the ignorance or lack of attention will turn out even sweeter for us, if/when he blossoms into superstar.

aguero93:20 said:
Stretford Born Blue said:
Really impressed with him last night. Great strength and balance for a 19 year old. Granted it wasn't the best opposition but he showed he is definitely one that could even be played instead of a couple of regulars in the middle. Replacement for Garcia for example in the near future. I wouldn't send him out on loan. If we continue to stay in cup competitions he will be a regular feature, even against lesser teams in the Premiership.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9oR9x171w[/youtube]
Haha that cracked me up..is it possible that the Garcia replacement comment is the dumbest post of the year I know it's early

DalbeyINUK said:
Nice little article on the Daily Mail

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2543866/IN-THE-SPOTLIGHT-Marcos-Lopes-City-teenager-likened-Tevez-clubs-youngest-scorer-hes-got-assists-Januzaj.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... nuzaj.html</a>

So, who is this guy I'm hearing whispers about?

Name: Marcos Lopes

Club: Manchester City

Position: Attacking midfielder

I’m going to need more than that…

Born in Brazil but moving to Portugal as a four-year-old, Lopes was just 15 when he was snapped up from Benfica at a cost of £790,000. His family moved to Manchester in a bid to help him settle and within a year he had joined the senior squad on their pre-season tour of the Far East.

At the time, City coach David Platt commented: ‘We have not brought Marcos out just to make the numbers up but because everything we have seen and been told from within the club suggested he could cope at this level.’

He is a Portugal youth international and has appeared for City on four occasions. He became the club’s youngest-ever scorer when, aged 17 years and eight days, he slotted home just two minutes after coming on for his debut during last season’s 3-0 FA Cup victory over Watford and was academy player of the year last season.

So why the fuss?

Lopes was the star of the show as City booked their place in the League Cup final courtesy of Tuesday night’s 3-0 victory at West Ham, Manuel Pellegrini’s side advancing with a 9-0 aggregate scoreline. He laid on the first two goals for Alvaro Negredo and Sergio Aguero.

And, afterwards, his boss was effusive in his praise of the teenager. ‘Marcos is a young player with a great future,’ said Pellegrini. ‘He is just 18 years old and played with the personality he needs to play in our team.

‘I see him work every day of the week, so I was sure he would realise the kind of performance he put on. I’m very happy for him because he deserves to do it - and he is a very important player for the future of the club.’

What’s his style?

Lopes is an attacking midfielder who can terrorise a backline from any domain, be it out wide or through the centre. He is well built with a low centre of gravity and a thunderous left boot.

He needs no invitation for a daring dribble or attempt on goal and, as Negredo will testify, his crossing isn’t too bad either; the City striker having headed home from Lopes’ sweet delivery after just three minutes at Upton Park.

So, a bit like…

Former City forward Carlos Tevez is the first player who springs to mind; for there is a terrier-like ethic to Lopes’ game but no shortage of skill either. Obvious comparison, however, has been drawn with city rival Adnan Januzaj.

Both just 18 and blessed with eye-catching flair, United’s starlet has undeniably made a bigger impression this season and is one of the most talked-about talents in world football. But, as City fans will no doubt remind you, Lopes – with two assists – has created as many goals as Januzaj this season.

Lopes' nickname is Rony and his Twitter handle is, indeed, @Rony10Lopes. It is not, however, a nod to compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo but rather a tag in honour of the original ‘Ronaldo’, the former Brazil striker.

How much is he worth?

A value is pretty much academic given his residence at City; for he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. He was worth nearly £800,000 as a 15-year-old and so, three years on and with his development well on track, you’d guess his worth has way exceeded a seven-figure sum.

How will he fit in?

He was deployed on the left-hand side of midfield against West Ham and, given the injury to Samir Nasri earlier this month, Lopes could well be thrust onto the Premier League stage over the coming weeks.

If he keeps laying on goals for the likes of Negredo and Aguero then they could be leading the calls to give the youngster his top-flight bow.

Everyone has a weakness…

His biggest obstacle could be the galaxy of stars which stand between him and the first team. We mentioned the injury to Nasri perhaps opening a door, but the likes of James Milner, David Silva and Jesus Navas are higher up the pecking order and patience could be the key for Lopes.

Expectation is another pitfall which he will have to negotiate, hope having been amplified given his impressive introduction.

What happens next?

He has scored five goals from four appearances for City in the UEFA Youth League this season and he will continue his development as captain of the Under-19 squad. Brazilian Fernandinho is said to have taken young Lopes under his wing and all he can do is seize his senior chance when it does come along.

On the evidence of his man-of-the-match display against the Hammers, however, he could well be ready for a prolonged stay around the first-team squad.

Fernandinho seems a ludicrously good bloke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.