Mark E Smith

Never really listened to the music (no idea why, but I think it was because I was concentrating on other things at that time), but I read his bio a couple of years back and loved it.
Life would be very dull if it didn't have people like Mark E Smith in it, and now it doesn't.
RIP to a very talented guy x

I think I remember he said he wouldn’t sign for Factory because they were South Manchester types and he didn’t like people from there
That’s right, that’s what he said. He didn’t like the South Manchester ponciness inherent with Factory’s artier side. The Fall never quite fit with the Factory ethos and wouldn’t have been any great loss to Factory as they’ve never sold many records.

James, Smiths, Stone Roses, 808 State...all big oversights/mistakes by Factory, but not The Fall. Imagine what MES thought of Wilson...

“There’s no hatred in them,” spits Smith. “I f***ing hate it, me. You know the best match they played was against that Roma when they were all injured and the reserves played, in the Champions League. They put the reserves on and they beat them. I was out with some f***ing new City fans and they’re like Reds, the new City fan. You’ve never seen them before, they’re like 40-odd. We were doing the LP cover actually, and this d*** who was doing the LP cover, he goes ‘This is a foregone conclusion this game, Roma away. There’s no way were gonna win because Aguero’s out, so-and-so’s out, Milner’s out, that Dutch f***ing useless c**t, Kompany’s out.’ That’s what Reds are like. And they f***ing won! They won and he didn’t even notice. That’s what they’re like nowadays. In the old days, Mike Doyle or Malcolm Allison would have said, ‘Excuse me, we are the runners-up, and United are sh**.’ Mike Doyle used to hate Man United. He used to follow them and shout at them. He used to shout at George Best.”

That’s right, that’s what he said. He didn’t like the South Manchester ponciness inherent with Factory’s artier side. The Fall never quite fit with the Factory ethos and wouldn’t have been any great loss to Factory as they’ve never sold many records.

James, Smiths, Stone Roses, 808 State...all big oversights/mistakes by Factory, but not The Fall. Imagine what MES thought of Wilson...

I think there was a begrudging respect between, even though they insulted each other

Sad news he was a talented guy and helped pave the way in the UK for the likes of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

Respect.

I'd love to see a statue of MES, if we can have one of Frank Sidebottom we can have one of MES.
Wearing v neck pullover and pointing.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.