Market Street store in town

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by peoffrey, 17 Jul 2017.

1. Tim of the Oak

Tim of the Oak

OK thanks

2. casualdeyna

casualdeyna

Both are right. Downstairs of Birthdays on Market Street they had City and rag official merch. Won't surprise anyone to know we had one corner of it and the rags well over 75%, still didn't stop me placing as much City stuff over rag stuff as poss to even it up a bit, but was a losing battle.

We opened a City store on second floor of Arndale, pretty much next to the McDonalds that was there and not far from where Mothercare used to be, up from the underground market (I also remember a pretzel store around there I used to pester my mum to buy me one!). I was there for the opening day as, if my memory is right, Edhill and Lake were there doing autographs. It wasn't a very big store at all, main thing I remember from it is a mannequin in City kit being suspended from the ceiling recreating the Tueart overhead kick.

3. peoffrey

peoffrey

I shopped in both. I was living away at the time but they were regular visits in Manchester.

4. 01282

You're right mate. I remember buying the Kappa home kit in there so would've been 97/98 season. I'd say it was somehere close to where the big JD store currently is facing the square.

5. Roger The Shrubber

Roger The Shrubber

Skint
    City should open a shop at Piccadilly Station in the main shopping area as a gesture of welcoming goodwill to utd's season card holders and day-trippers. Nice touch that

6. Corky

Corky

Brian Robson owned/major shareholder and director of Birthdays in those days.

Bad planning by city shutting down the shop without knowing where they are moving to.

7. casualdeyna

casualdeyna

Doesn't surprise me a rag being behind birthdays at the time the amount of tat they had in there, although to be fair it was in the days we were garbage with merchandise and they sold anything and everything with that shite badge on, I'm sure I remember obscuring rag cola in a shop once with other non-rag pop.

Does seem bad planning closing a store during the summer months and after a kit launch when people are quite likely to be buying summer holiday clothes. I'd like to think they have it all in hand and are just waiting for some prime location somewhere to become free, but not convinced.

Just as long as we don't end up downstairs of a card shop again surrounded by Brian Robson's tat!

8. Tim of the Oak

Tim of the Oak

IIRC was the co-owner with Robson the dad of Gary Neville's wife. maybe that was another card shop chain?

9. billfromthehill

billfromthehill

We are opening in the cellar of the store named --Grass roots ,keep it down lads ,you no the score lol.

10. skiddypants

skiddypants

Underground Market, now that brings memories flooding back, spent many a day hanging around there!