Martin Petrov playing Sunday League with Chorlton Torpedo...

CTID1988

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/former-manchester-city-ace-martin-6127432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... in-6127432</a>

petrov-chorlton-6127369.jpg

Out of the Blue: Former City ace Martin Petrov stars for Chorlton team in local league
2 Oct 2013 15:30 In the coup of the century, the former Bulgarian international is now turning out for Chorlton Torpedo in the Manchester Saturday Morning League.

He has won 90 international caps, commanded transfer fees of more than £14m and played for a host of top European clubs.

But in the coup of the century former City ace Martin Petrov is now turning out for Chorlton Torpedo in the Manchester Saturday Morning League.

The Bulgarian, 34, stunned onlookers at Dukinfield’s Armadale Road Playing Fields when he played up front for the visitors – and scored the only goal of the game. Petrov, who City signed for £4.7m in 2007, was released by Spanish side Espanyol in the summer.

Spartak Bushes defender Allan Cooke, 27, said: “I kept looking over because he played centre-forward and thinking ‘that’s Martin Petrov’.

"It was surreal. I’ve been telling all my mates and everyone at work and they don’t believe me until I show them the picture.”

wtf surely he must have been doing it as a favour for a mate? surely he won't be playing for them full time

Brilliant. I used to play in that league - after helping to set it up and helping to run it for many years.

mansour's tow ropes said:
wtf surely he must have been doing it as a favour for a mate? surely he won't be playing for them full time
his mate is on the team. playing for them for a bit to get his fitness levels up till he joins a russian or bulgarian club, cant remember which

The Pink Panther said:
UUBlue said:
Brilliant. I used to play in that league - after helping to set it up and helping to run it for many years.

So did I
Who did you play for?
A team called PTL, many years ago. We were originally in a church league, and we merged with the education league to form this league. I was secretary for a number of years before moving away from Manchester.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.