Martin Samuel: The plot to shackle City & Chelsea

in the early 1900s utd ,gained citys top players,and went on to win the legue,
the manchester public were happy to see a club in need benefit,
in the 30s when they were in danger of going under city backed them,when the choice was manchester central ,
in the 40s when they were homeless we took them in
in the 50s during their darkest hour we were there for them,losing a large
chunk of fans ,without bitterness,
again in the 50s we took them in wheh they didnt even have proper lighting
and how do they repay us ,by backstabing us and jumping into bed,with a pair of cockney wide boys and their "biggest rivals"
well the next time they need us (and history tells us there WILL be a next time)i hope we tell them exactley where they can shove it,

Prestwich_Blue said:
I strongly suspect the word is going out from Sky and the PL. They do not want the 'Best league in the world' to turn into some sort of bland, predictable version of East Germany.

I`ve already mentioned this but tv is where most monet is generated,not gate receipts or selling shirts.If these rules came into play we would end up having a league like Spain with 2/3 clubs only competing.....or worse, we could end up like the Scottish premier.Heaven forbid!

How many of you would really want sky/espn sports if that was the case? I for one would cease giving money to sky and espn. I wonder if sky have thought about this and if they will put pressure on the league and FA. I`m sure they will if they were thinking like me!

ped said:
in the 30s when they were in danger of going under city backed them,when the choice was manchester central ,
and how do they repay us ,by backstabing us and jumping into bed,with a pair of cockney wide boys and their "biggest rivals"
well the next time they need us (and history tells us there WILL be a next time)i hope we tell them exactley where they can shove it,

Well said, I've been reading Gary James' book and we helped them in so many ways, directly and indirectly (the FA stitching up our club when it was on the cusp of a golden age, allowing half our team to join United) and the only thing they offered in return was to let us use Old Scaffold for a weekend or two after the fire at Hyde Road. They owe us but have no integrity whatsoever.

ped said:

Excellent summary. My Gran and my Great Grandad watched us and them on alternate weeks at Maine Road after the war. Then, when we were in Div 3 and 30k of us were going, all our Rag 'mates' laughed at us and hoped we went out of existence. But, classically, 'they call us bitter?' I could go on...

coleridge said:
ped said:

Excellent summary. My Gran and my Great Grandad watched us and them on alternate weeks at Maine Road after the war. Then, when we were in Div 3 and 30k of us were going, all our Rag 'mates' laughed at us and hoped we went out of existence. But,classically, 'they call us bitter?' I could go on...
remember that winger we loaned from them in the third tier, and when we wanted to buy him, Ferguson insisted on getting every last penny could out of us.

catfish said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
I strongly suspect the word is going out from Sky and the PL. They do not want the 'Best league in the world' to turn into some sort of bland, predictable version of East Germany.

I`ve already mentioned this but tv is where most monet is generated,not gate receipts or selling shirts.If these rules came into play we would end up having a league like Spain with 2/3 clubs only competing.....or worse, we could end up like the Scottish premier.Heaven forbid!

How many of you would really want sky/espn sports if that was the case? I for one would cease giving money to sky and espn. I wonder if sky have thought about this and if they will put pressure on the league and FA. I`m sure they will if they were thinking like me!

I posted some weeks ago about how the clubs supporting financial constraints must be very very very stupid. They are lured in by the prospect of having to shell out less on transfers and wages and maybe being able to compete more.

But they have not thought it through. These proposed changes would doubtless make the PL less appealing overall, which would almost certainly impact TV rights, marketing rights, ticket revenues etc and therefore the clubs' income.

It's a bit like a shop next to Sainsburys. Superficially they might want some sort of curbs on what Sainsburys can sell. But then people stop coming Sainsburys and go to Tescos. Instead of you getting *some* passing trade from the customers drawn to Sainsburys who also go in your shop, you now get none because no-one visits at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.