Media Discussion - 2023/24

They steal a living criticizing managers/footballers and generally spewing alot of uninformed shite about them, as soon as someone pushes back in the slightest, they get their arses all sensitive about it.

Reactions: PPT
Blunt Instrument of Media Bans

Banning some of the media has been much discussed on this forum. The pros, the cons, or just wanting retribution have been put forward by many in different terms. Do we embrace them, try and love`em, work with them or fcuk`em?

The out of towners across in Trafford have decided on the latter approach, again.

This is part of what Sam Wallace, a Chief Sports Writer, has said today -

"Those who use the blunt instrument of media control that is banning newspapers do so on the basis of a presumed power dynamic that, with his current track record, and Manchester United’s current position, simply does not exist for Erik ten Hag.

The bans issued by United on Tuesday to various media were a bad move. One notes United’s explanation that stories should first be run past the club yet, with this reaction, the embattled Ten Hag has turned a one-day story into a long-running saga with the potential to become more toxic.

The bans for Sky Sports News, the Daily Mirror, ESPN and the Manchester Evening News appear to have flowed from a manager’s wish to wrestle back control, and one cannot blame him for wanting that. Yet this is one battle he and the club would have been better served avoiding.

There is much written about Sir Alex Ferguson’s appetite for banning media, a pretty inglorious era all said, when newspapers and journalists – myself included – would have been better served standing together. Nevertheless, the Ferguson approach of the early 2000s, before the traditional media’s digital revolution, before social media, and before the advent of the footballer as mini-corporation in his own right, are utterly redundant in the modern landscape.

Ten Hag might as well have his players running up and down terraces or passing round a restorative half-time Woodbine. The old rules do not apply, and one doubts whether they were ever that effective anyway.

The bans handed down under Ferguson never stopped what he saw as unfavourable coverage, as Ten Hag will find out. "

The above extract is quite insightful.

Liverpool FC are probably the one club that does exercise some form of `control` over the media. There are historical reasons and of course, the FA Cup Semi Final at Sheffield. Despite all their many well known indiscretions, LFC still get away with so much.

For many of today`s `journalists, writers, and social media contributors, it is all part of the game. Most of them are still `lads`who get paid to watch footie and have trips to big matches abroad. They do not really care about who or what they write about as long as it garners interest.

This, combined with institutional bias, self interest, and a lack of accountability, is what is impacting on City. These days it is also about stimulating reactions and clicks to justify advertising income. Banning the worse culprits usually results in those excluded doubling down on self justification as we have witnessed.

The Treble Winners have to keep on winning and building our power base. This is probably the best answer.

Last edited:
The problem is simple, the club employees are just that employees. They may even support the rags or dips or whoever. They probably have a good laugh and joke when our most hate filled critics turn up to shit on our doorstep. No other club would allow it to happen, none.
so we have to suck it up, nothing we can do and it’s not a priority to our owners as they are more interested in the global picture where we are generally liked and respected.
I agree. Surely any senior exec who descended on the club for a PR review would have to conclude its a fucking disaster.
We are already guilty in the nations eyes with severe penalties fully implanted in everyone's minds.. How can we possibly see this as a successful policy. Its a potentially disastrous outcome.
I think it's imperative we try to level up perceptions leading up to the hearing with some comments of our own but if we haven't by now we probably never will.

I agree. Surely any senior exec who descended on the club for a PR review would have to conclude its a fucking disaster.
We are already guilty in the nations eyes with severe penalties fully implanted in everyone's minds.. How can we possibly see this as a successful policy. Its a potentially disastrous outcome.
I think it's imperative we try to level up perceptions leading up to the hearing with some comments of our own but if we haven't by now we probably never will.
Yep, sadly I agree. We’ve been calling for a more robust approach (to put it diplomatically) for over a decade, but for those calling the shots at City it’s simply not their style.

It’s treated as fact in this country that we are guilty. Carragher and co can seemingly publish whatever they want without fear of litigation because we simply don’t challenge it.

I got called “a cheat” by a complete stranger passing me on the street, because I had the audacity to be wearing my City hoodie. That’s where we are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.