Media Discussion - 2023/24

Can we not just stop our media in the stadium filling every silent pause with renditions of shouting at the attendees like they were sat at a pantomime?

Oddly, it seems to be from the transfermarkt site. I've no certainty as to why it's showing what it does.

Presumably it's just drawn from whatever data is in their database and many past players aren't listed.
Colin the King scored 153, for example.

I listened to it so nobody else has to. It was just a high-level look at multi-club ownership with a bit of a look at women's football (for some reason), all aimed at people who don't know much.

Wasn't a hit job at all but a lot of soul-searching about the place of "feeder" clubs not helped by a quote from someone at CFG saying that clubs need to "know their place" in the hierarchy. Imo, fandom is complicated and can't really he generalised or summarised by two talking heads in five minutes, but it's a point worth discussing I guess.

Personally, the CFG leaves me cold. It's a consultants' wet dream but I am not sure there are huge benefits to the club I actually support that couldn't be achieved more traditionally, tbh. But I am old and tired :)

Edit: They do waiver between saying Mansour owns the club, but then talking about state ownership from the UAE, but then who doesn't? And they keep saying City own load of clubs when we all know all the clubs are owned by the CFG. Not accurate, but journalistic licence, I suppose.
Purely from a business perspective the CFG model is a tough one to fathom. Unless they have a single brand which is marketed globally I don't see how they gain from having many brands/clubs under their banner. And its not like the consumer/fan is going to follow more than one club so dispersed brands with their own unique consumers doesn't sound that convincing without common denominators. Plus it stretches management bandwidth and drivers of success are sure to be different in different geographies. Also from a Man City perspective you would think that the club management would prefer to see more Man City fans in say New York or Mumbai rather than NYCFC fans or Mumbai City fans. So in a way these clubs compete too.

It makes more sense as a billionnaire collectors items. But as long as they aren't bleeding cash too heavily who am I to complain. Shiekh Mansour is a man who has two mega yachts...why not a dozen football clubs?!

Feeder clubs (within the same pyramid) create a form of subservience too, don't they? I would much rather that the EPL incentivise transfer/lending of players to the lower leagues, that would give the players more game time and would help the clubs in the lower tiers get good talent.

Purely from a business perspective the CFG model is a tough one to fathom. Unless they have a single brand which is marketed globally I don't see how they gain from having many brands/clubs under their banner. And its not like the consumer/fan is going to follow more than one club so dispersed brands with their own unique consumers doesn't sound that convincing without common denominators. Plus it stretches management bandwidth and drivers of success are sure to be different in different geographies. Also from a Man City perspective you would think that the club management would prefer to see more Man City fans in say New York or Mumbai rather than NYCFC fans or Mumbai City fans. So in a way these clubs compete too.

It makes more sense as a billionnaire collectors items. But as long as they aren't bleeding cash too heavily who am I to complain. Shiekh Mansour is a man who has two mega yachts...why not a dozen football clubs?!

Feeder clubs (within the same pyramid) create a form of subservience too, don't they? I would much rather that the EPL incentivise transfer/lending of players to the lower leagues, that would give the players more game time and would help the clubs in the lower tiers get good talent.

Good points. I worked in a multi-luxury brand environment for twenty years and "shared services" were always some sort of consultant's panacea. But it wasn't welcome in the brands because each was unique, or at least the management of each brand thought they were unique. As soon as the consultants got close to affecting something clearly brand-related that was the end of it. After 2 million pounds spent, McKinsey Paris weren't allowed in the building again (they were pretty peeved, the know-nothing bastards) :)

Anyway, my point is: as soon as CFG get close to sensitive club related issues, like squad and fan perception, they may find the proposition difficult.

And, at the end of the day, imho, you can develop relationships in the relevant countries with multiple teams without actually owning them.

All imho, of course.

Last edited:
Good points. I worked in a multi-luxury brand environment for twenty years and "shared services" were always some sort of consultant's panacea. But it wasn't welcome in the brands because each was unique, or at least the management of each brand thought they were unique. As soon as the consultants got close to affecting something clearly brand-related that was the end of it. After 2 million pounds spent, McKinsey Paris weren't allowed in the building again (they were pretty peeved, the know-nothing bastards) :)

Anyway, my point is: as soon as CFG get close to sensitive club related issues, like squad and fan perception, they may find the proposition difficult.

And, at the end of the day, imho, you can develop relationships in the relevant countries with multiple teams without actually owning them.

All imho, of course.
Having dealt with consultants most of my career I can say that they are only a rung above football journalists.

If ever you want to know more about the inner machinations of McKinsey I recommend this book 'When McKinsey comes to town'.

Having dealt with consultants most of my career I can say that they are only a rung above football journalists.

If ever you want to know more about the inner machinations of McKinsey I recommend this book 'When McKinsey comes to town'.
McKinsey are such an over-blown outfit and nowhere near as clever as they think they are (but who could be). The way they get their alumni embedded in organisations and then “mine“ their influence is really quite sinister at times.

He's fast and has a shot on him.

If he gets picked for England he'll score some because we play shit teams mostly, but his most regularly seen skill is just gifting the ball back to the opposition.

For England to win something we need to make the most of the City players and join them with players who at least are familiar with a similar style.
But not under The Waistcoat imho

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.