Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they are discussing our sport and our club and people want to hear what they are saying about us.

So anti-city stuff is click bait for blues as well as reds? Then do not expect things to change.

The only power you have against these organisations is to impact on its listenership and consequently advertisement revenues.

I rarely listen to Talksport but lots of people do and there is no doubt that this sort of coverage undermines our reputation and damages our brand. You can't just ignore it and hope it will go away. It will affect us commercially everytime we try and negotiate a sponsorship deal. Business partners do not like being tainted by association. The relentless negative and biased coverage we get is an ongoing issue for us as a business. Chelsea used to be the whipping boys but nowadays they get a free pass. The very least we should do is pull the plug on our advertising with Talksport. As an organisation we need to be on the front foot with this. We have had it for almost ten years now.

Good post .

So anti-city stuff is click bait for blues as well as reds? Then do not expect things to change.

The only power you have against these organisations is to impact on its listenership and consequently advertisement revenues.

Whether I listen to it or not has absolutely no bearing on what they say.

I rarely listen to Talksport but lots of people do and there is no doubt that this sort of coverage undermines our reputation and damages our brand. You can't just ignore it and hope it will go away. It will affect us commercially everytime we try and negotiate a sponsorship deal. Business partners do not like being tainted by association. The relentless negative and biased coverage we get is an ongoing issue for us as a business. Chelsea used to be the whipping boys but nowadays they get a free pass. The very least we should do is pull the plug on our advertising with Talksport. As an organisation we need to be on the front foot with this. We have had it for almost ten years now.

Firstly good post and the narrative you describe in relation to commercial aspects I would not disagree with, even if we disagree on if it effects City uniquely. . So lets just say all that is true so how can we as a fanbase effect change the other way.

Could we not effect talksport commercially if we stopped listening to the show, if they had less viewers would not that effect their commercial revenues

It seems pretty clear to me that talksports whole business model is to make controversial statements, get a heated debate raging to attract listeners and get joe public who want to 'give it to the presenter' to call in and keep the cycle going.

What will change if the listening figures/advertisement revenues stay the same?

Maybe its just me, and this is not directly aimed at you, but I do not understand how anything will change if people keep tuning in to the show and then come on here moaning about it. Your casting a vote tor the continuation of the dross the show produces.

I do agree conpletely with removing advertising if that takes place. Its small steps but something people can influence.

Firstly good post and the narrative you describe in relation to commercial aspects I would not disagree with, even if we disagree on if it effects City uniquely. . So lets just say all that is true so how can we as a fanbase effect change the other way.

Could we not effect talksport commercially if we stopped listening to the show, if they had less viewers would not that effect their commercial revenues

It seems pretty clear to me that talksports whole business model is to make controversial statements, get a heated debate raging to attract listeners and get joe public who want to 'give it to the presenter' to call in and keep the cycle going.

Maybe its just me, and this is not directly aimed at you, but I do not understand how anything will change if people keep tuning in to the show and then come on here moaning about it. Your casting a vote tor the continuation of the dross the show produces.

I do agree conpletely with removing advertising if that takes place. Its small steps but something people can influence.

I agree with most of what you say. The problem is that even if all City fans stopped listening to Talksport it would not stop the damage happening. I am not overly concerned about Talksport on its own. The issue we have is that essentially a false narrative about City has been cemented across sections of the whole media sector. The narrative is that we are just an oil club, with no history, with no morality, no sustainablity, no proper youth policy. The damage to us is subtle but very real. We are not victims of a media conspiracy but the commercial reality is that most newspapers and broadcast organisations are driven by audience figures and United have the biggest fanbase. The reason so many of us fans get frustrated is that we know we are being unfairly treated by the media. But the media has always been market driven. The club must adopt a more proactive PR strategy. Improving our reputation is very important in the long-term. We have to challenge people when they publish or broadcast untruths.

If someone treats us unfairly, or tells lies or misrepresents what we're doing or what we're about we shouldn't be afraid to say so.

Silence doesn't stop the lies, the unreasonable criticism, the consistent negative tone about he very thing we do.

If people think we did wrong at the start of the takeover they should criticise what we did at the start of the takeover. But that doesn't give them the right to carry on forever.

I agree with you but we're not talking about reasonable people here, or people with any scruples. It's the media. They're not called the gutter press for nothing. And when it comes to football it's all one......press, TV, radio, the lot. The narrative even infects live televised matches.

I treat Talk Sport as comedy central, however the vast majority of it's listeners truly believe what's being broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.