Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe made an interesting comment after the game. He said fans of other teams accuse City of having no history & they were right that City had no history in European cup competitions.

This is, of course, bollocks. City first appeared in the European Cup as it was in the 1968-9 season - an inauspicious beginning, but the following season they won the European Cup Winners Cup. Since City won the Premier League in 2012, they are the only English team to have qualified for the Champions League every year since. So when it comes to the use of the word as a jibe, "history" clearly means something else.

Of course it's a way of making fans of those clubs who have won the Champions League or European Cup feel better about themselves (I'm sure Villa & Forest fans would rather be in our position) but where does that leave Arsenal? For them they must be thinking of domestic "history".

Next time remember this:
City were founded in 1880 - 2 years before Spurs, 6 years before Arsenal, 12 years before LFC & 25 years before Chelsea
They won their first FA Cup in1904 - 26 years before Arsenal, 44 years before MU, 61 years before LFC & 66 years before Chelsea.
They were Football League Champions in 1937 - 14 years before Spurs & 18 years before Chelsea

Anyway - just a bit of ammunition.
You’ve hit on the real problem with City.

They have no history.

Of course ‘football history’ is limited to the period PL 1 to PL 18. That is the early stages of the Premier League era. Everything after that (from PL 19 onwards can be dismissed because upstarts came in and challenged to PL Royalty.

Equally anything before the formation of the PL (BS 1 backwards). That is before Sky when any ragamuffin club could win the First Division with nonentities like Everton, Aston Villa, Leeds, Ipswich, Burnley, Wolves, Derby County, Forest, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Newcastle Huddersfield, Wednesday, Preston, and even Manchester City.

I should add that Liverpool operate on a different calendar to every other club. They operate on the AS (the after Shankly) calendar that runs from 1963 onwards. It doesn’t stop them from dismissing earlier titles while counting their own. The Tottenham calendar only runs from 1960-63 apart from sporadic Cup wins.

The golden age of English football (1992-2011) was free from teams ‘buying titles’ apart from nasty Blackburn in PL 2. Otherwise it was won by the ‘organic’ teams like United (12 titles), Arsenal, and Chelsea (3 titles each). Somehow Liverpool pretended to be part of this history despite no League titles for 30 years as did Spurs who avoided winning for 60 years (and counting).

Suddenly City came from nowhere and spoiled their party.

The state of Castles. I fear for his mental health. Replies are great though.
Duncan Castles
@DuncanCastles

19h
A nation-state club that outspent everyone in football and which UEFA banned from the Champions League for two years for breaching fundamental competition rules reaches its final after defeating another nation-state club. What a night for football. #MCIPSG

I find it astonishing that City don't go after people like this with their lawyers.

Listening to BT discuss City v Chelsea final and they saying Chelsea already bossed them in the FA Cup Semi whilst not once acknowledging that City Team had 8 different players in the starting 11 compared to our CL starting 11...surely they are aware of this and could communicate it to the masses

No,offence, but that's cherry picking. The BBC for once had quite a few positive articles and reports about City, Pep, the players, and the team performance.

I hate the Rag and Dipper infested BBC at Mediacity like everyone else, but sometimes BBC Sport do report fairly, which they did after City beat PSG.

Even the Daily United(Mail) had about 8 positive articles and reports after City beat PSG.

No,offence, but that's cherry picking. The BBC for once had quite a few positive articles and reports about City, Pep, the players, and the team performance.

I hate the Rag and Dipper infested BBC at Mediacity like everyone else, but sometimes BBC Sport do report fairly, which they did after City beat PSG.

Even the Daily United(Mail) had about 8 positive articles and reports after City beat PSG.

I’m not sure someone who polices this thread looking for the slightest slight against the club on every website going should be making such comments tbh.

It also doesn’t fit the offence of ‘cherry picking’ because it’s the same headline piece across the top of the page rather than an apples and oranges comparison.

Rushing to defend the media after all the time you spend on here slagging them off is just a bit bizarre tbh.

No offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.