Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just left this comment on Sam Lee's piece for The Athletic:

Something often missing from Western journalists & commentators passing judgements of the UAE is the actual history of the region. It was the British who put the House of Al-Nahyan on the throne in the UAE in order to guarantee it’s, & intern the West's oil rights. Something that has worked out very nicely for all involved indeed. It was the West who betrayed the Arabs at the end of the First World War after promising them a state of their own that has led to much of, if not all, the destruction in the region that has followed since. The fact that the UAE is based in the middle of probably the most conservative religious region of the world, & is only 51 years old, yet one of the more progressive regions in the area should not go without note.

The simple fact is you cannot apply Western morals & culture to a region that is deeply conservative & based in Islamic Sharia, it has a totally different moral compass to the West & a different way of life. It should be noted however, that through investing in the West the UAE has improved, admittedly not to a level we as Westerners would like to see on Human Rights, but it is certainly much more Western than its immediate neighbours like the Saudis, Iran or even Russia who have just invaded a sovereign European neighbour nation. It is a 51-year-old state that is still growing & learning culturally. You can't monopolise their resources by electing their head of state then moan when they use said gains to invest back into your culture, because you don't like how that region of the world operates culturally.

Now, I'm not saying they are perfect; I'm just pointing out that through their ownership of Western institutions like Manchester City, it can be used to instigate improvements in their culture, bringing their human rights record more into line with how we view it should be in the West. What should be applauded is that a deeply Islamic conservative City ownership, has led the way in establishing & investing in the women's game at the club, something that was totally neglected beforehand. It has backed the establishment of gay supporters’ clubs, invested heavily in the economy of East Manchester, & Manchester as a whole, whilst being one of the leading football clubs in tackling Climate Change, all great & notable causes.

Finally, I simply will not accept, so called 'human rights activist' supporters of other football clubs & journalists, who are driven by nothing other than football tribalism, with little to no understanding of life in the UAE & its culture, using a very serious matter as a front to attack City. The fact of the matter is they don't like City because they are a better ran club than their own, more successful on the pitch & are at the forefront of what it is to be a modern football club. You never heard any of this prior to Guardiola arriving and dominating the domestic game, or indeed even under Mancini & Pellegrini when City won titles. In fact, for that matter, when City did have a truly terrible former despot in Thaksin Shinawatra running the club, not a peep was heard from any of these people, just proving to underline my point.

I accept City isn't the only club who receive criticism of its owner, but it pales into insignificance compared with the coverage of others, & that is because of its success. Football is at the forefront of modern capitalism & is thus owned by modern capitalists.

Just missing 1 sentence

Sam Lee is a twat!

Just left this comment on Sam Lee's piece for The Athletic:

Something often missing from Western journalists & commentators passing judgements of the UAE is the actual history of the region. It was the British who put the House of Al-Nahyan on the throne in the UAE in order to guarantee it’s, & intern the West's oil rights. Something that has worked out very nicely for all involved indeed. It was the West who betrayed the Arabs at the end of the First World War after promising them a state of their own that has led to much of, if not all, the destruction in the region that has followed since. The fact that the UAE is based in the middle of probably the most conservative religious region of the world, & is only 51 years old, yet one of the more progressive regions in the area should not go without note.

The simple fact is you cannot apply Western morals & culture to a region that is deeply conservative & based in Islamic Sharia, it has a totally different moral compass to the West & a different way of life. It should be noted however, that through investing in the West the UAE has improved, admittedly not to a level we as Westerners would like to see on Human Rights, but it is certainly much more Western than its immediate neighbours like the Saudis, Iran or even Russia who have just invaded a sovereign European neighbour nation. It is a 51-year-old state that is still growing & learning culturally. You can't monopolise their resources by electing their head of state then moan when they use said gains to invest back into your culture, because you don't like how that region of the world operates culturally.

Now, I'm not saying they are perfect; I'm just pointing out that through their ownership of Western institutions like Manchester City, it can be used to instigate improvements in their culture, bringing their human rights record more into line with how we view it should be in the West. What should be applauded is that a deeply Islamic conservative City ownership, has led the way in establishing & investing in the women's game at the club, something that was totally neglected beforehand. It has backed the establishment of gay supporters’ clubs, invested heavily in the economy of East Manchester, & Manchester as a whole, whilst being one of the leading football clubs in tackling Climate Change, all great & notable causes.

Finally, I simply will not accept, so called 'human rights activist' supporters of other football clubs & journalists, who are driven by nothing other than football tribalism, with little to no understanding of life in the UAE & its culture, using a very serious matter as a front to attack City. The fact of the matter is they don't like City because they are a better ran club than their own, more successful on the pitch & are at the forefront of what it is to be a modern football club. You never heard any of this prior to Guardiola arriving and dominating the domestic game, or indeed even under Mancini & Pellegrini when City won titles. In fact, for that matter, when City did have a truly terrible former despot in Thaksin Shinawatra running the club, not a peep was heard from any of these people, just proving to underline my point.

I accept City isn't the only club who receive criticism of its owner, but it pales into insignificance compared with the coverage of others, & that is because of its success. Football is at the forefront of modern capitalism & is thus owned by modern capitalists.
City have a deeply Islamic conservative ownership? News to me. If they were deeply Islamic and conservative, I doubt they would set up a women's football club, support gay pride, buy football clubs across the world etc etc. You've also conceded there that City are owned by the UAE, and that the West has a superior record on dmocratic rights which is complete nonsense.

Been pretty quiet this week in the media, maybe due to the Ukraine situation but I'm used to player X wants to leave, not in my lifetime, investigations against us could strip us of everything we've ever won, assorted exrags dragged out to talk bollocks etc....it's quiet, too quiet.

Been pretty quiet this week in the media, maybe due to the Ukraine situation but I'm used to player X wants to leave, not in my lifetime, investigations against us could strip us of everything we've ever won, assorted exrags dragged out to talk bollocks etc....it's quiet, too quiet.
Maybe the rag sympathisers know there’s a storm coming……..

City have a deeply Islamic conservative ownership? News to me. If they were deeply Islamic and conservative, I doubt they would set up a women's football club, support gay pride, buy football clubs across the world etc etc. You've also conceded there that City are owned by the UAE, and that the West has a superior record on dmocratic rights which is complete nonsense.
Admittedly once I started down the path of the UAE’s culture I negated to mention that Sheikh Mansour is our owner, although I did mention his family.

The fact is the Al-Nahyan’s govern the UAE using a deeply conservative Islamic Sharia, so I think it’s a safe bet that our ultimate owner who belongs to this very family, holding key roles within the state apparatus also maintains the same views. I did clearly state he should be applauded for getting behind causes here that would be at odds with those views however, the same ones you listed.

Lastly, I stated you cannot apply Western held views of human rights to the UAE and broader region. However it is a fact that they have aligned more with how the West see the world since their formation in 1971.

Totally agree that we have hold no better record on Human Rights etc than them, especially given Iraq etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.