Melbourne City FC Thread

Re: MCFC buy Melbourne Heart FC (merged)

JoeMercer'sWay said:
what's Danny Allsopp up to these days? maybe he can be our Aussie ambassador.
Played a number of years for Heart's local rival before retiring recently, did very well to keep playing as long as he did.

waterloo blue said:
pominoz said:
foetus said:
Hope they play in Sydney as well. If not, I'm coming down to Melbourne!

Bring a coat ;)
I'll get you a pint in Young & Jackson's.

Your on.

That'll be funny though, "I'll be the one with the City shirt on", the place will be packed with pissed up City fans.

Ps, we all really should push for a meet up at "The Imperial" when City are in town, the home of City in Melbourne and a great set of blues.

Hi everyone,
We are all very excited about how your club can bring us forward and we are very, very thankful.
I really like the change of name. The club names in the A-League are terrible and this is more a return to the traditional form of naming.
As for the kits, I like the Red and Black stripes as our home kit and maybe the sky blue as our third. The club has a tradition that the fans can design the third kits and they have been really well received so maybe one of those can be used as our away kit?
<a class="postlink" href="https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1017342_10151874407197479_1752175818_n.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5818_n.png</a>
^These are 3 of the fan made kits. Personally I like the middle kit (the Harry Kewell one).

Thank you again and I hope this is the start of a long and hopefully successful partnership.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
what's Danny Allsopp up to these days? maybe he can be our Aussie ambassador.

Allsopp plays for Croydon City Arrows, which Wiki calls "an Australian soccer club based in Croydon, Victoria, currently playing in the 5th tier of the Victorian soccer structure and the sixth tier nationally". However, he apparently played for the rivals, Melbourne Victory, between 2005-9 and 2011-12.

On the other hand, Simon Colosimo - who made a handful of appearances for City in KK's promotion season in 2001-2 - made 63 appearances for Heart between 2010 and 2013. He recently left to play for a club in India, though. Anyway, maybe he would be our man if we're looking for a local guy with a City link to spread the word.

Another interesting thing is that Victory are the better supported of the two teams. They were in the A-League from the first season, 2005-6, and it was agreed that no other Melbourne club would be admitted for five years, giving Victory a free run at the Melbourne market for that period. Heart duly entered the league in 2010-11.

Both of them play home games at the AAMI Stadium, which is Melbourne's only rectangular stadium (i.e. purpose built for football). However, it seems that Victory play some games where they'll draw bigger crowds at the Etihad Stadium (which is an oval stadium primarily configured for Aussie Rules and thus considered a less attractive venue for football). I assume that the club will stay at AAMI for now but it seems to be leased out to all kinds of teams - I wonder if the plan will be to build its own facility eventually.

I also found out that the coach of Melbourne Victory is Kevin Muscat, the ex-Wolves full back who was known as a particularly nasty player when he played in England. Makes me dislike them already!

Fabulous news for this country and the A League. I reckon Heart would have gone to the wall if this deal hadn't of happened. Very intrigued as to what City will do with this club. I guess we can expect City downunder on a regular basis, don't think they've been here since 1970.

Marwood and Txiki both in Melbourne today. City is going to acquire a helluva lot of new fans after the announcement today. As others have said it is also a huge boost for football in Australia.

Onwards and upwards for this fantastic club!

jollylescott said:
Marwood and Txiki both in Melbourne today. City is going to acquire a helluva lot of new fans after the announcement today. As others have said it is also a huge boost for football in Australia.

Onwards and upwards for this fantastic club!

What a coincidence, Australian Open Finals this weekend ;)
Hard life. :)

TonyM said:
jollylescott said:
Great move by City as Melbourne is one of the sporting capitals of the world. Sydney FC play in sky blue so it will be interesting to see what happens on that front. I also see that it is being reported that City will be playing in Australia in May. Hope so!
They could play in Red and Black Home and Sky Blue Away. They are all upside down anyway.
Maroon!

Maybe we could have an Aussie blues meet up?,I'll bring Fetters and we'll have a Surprise Surprise moment when Nimrod comes in.

Colours wise, we either change to sky blue or leave as is. I don't understand why we'd change em to one of our many classic away kit styles personally, as we have a few different ones and everyone has their favourite.

Still haven't seen a NYCFC kit yet, so we dunno how much sky blue is going to factor in to our shared branding.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.