Memories!

blueshortshorts

Bit of a "jumpers for goalposts" nostalgic (and ultimately pointless) thread

14th May 1981

Aged 10. My mum arrived at the school and I was taken out of class, she'd been down at Maine Road that morning and got 2 tickets for the cup final. Drove me into town and put me on the train, and told me to keep my ticket in my shoe(!!), and not to speak to anyone until I got to London, where my Dad would meet me at the other end (he was working in London at the time). Dad took me to his work, for a couple of hours then we headed off to Wembley. Bought a Centenery Flag and Cap ( still got them!).

Superb feeling walking up Wembley way towards the twin towers.

Can't honestly remember too much about the game, other than some big fellah getting hauled out of our pen by the police, Steve mackenzie's goal, Ricky Villa weaving past our defenders..seemed to be happening in slow motion,but not being too disapponted because we brought on Dennis Tueart straight after it(I was convinved he'd score and take it to extra time). Staying behind to watch spuds lift the cup.

I honestly wasn't that gutted after it, because, as a 10 year old I'd had a great day, and I honestly thought we'd be going to the final next year, and the year after that... still waiting.

Any other memories from young blues on that day?

I was 11 at the time blue & finished school early and headed down to wembley with my dad,uncle,brother & cousins.
When we went 2-1 up i thought we were going to lift the cup & go on to lift many more.
The 2 cup runs of that year was a fantastic journey & at the time nothing else mattered,the monday after the most recent cup game success everyone was huddled round the radio at school in anticipation of our next opponents.
I remember Maine Road full to the rafters for the everton replay & for the semi with liverpool in the league cup.
The kippax singing in full voice swaying & moving together in unison. You could move 20 yards from your place on the strength of an attack on goal.
It was a great time to be a young City fan!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.