Michael Brown

Didsbury Dave said:
petrusha said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Big mIstake by joe royle to sell brown, but they didn't get on. Brown scored for Sheffield utd against us back in the days when our explayers always scored against us.

In those days you could transfer a player and insist that he couldn't play in the next game against you. Joe Royle didn't bother to do that, and I remember us all saying the day before the game on the old BV that he was an absolute cert to get the winner against us at Bramall Lane. Of course, it ended 1-0 to the Blades, scorer Michael Brown. I was f**king livid.
You're right. I remember it well. I was at bramall lane that day and he bossed the game and went mad when he scored, too. Bad day. Was it the season we were relegated under royle?

It was the 1999-2000 promotion season when we got to the Prem. IIRC, he played centre midfield with Jeff Whitley in the play off final in May '99, with Cooke on the right and Horlock on the left. But he never really got a look in during the next season and had already been on loan at Pompey by the time we sold him to Sheff U round the turn of the year.

Because Royle achieved two successive promotions, his decisions at the time weren't really questioned. Brown wasn't the best player we ever had, but we'd have done better to keep him rather than sell him and buy Tony Grant for the exact same fee. Grant was a pretty underwhelming buy, to be honest.

He's made a good career for himself,more through effort than talent,as still playing at 36 is testament to.

He was a good player for us,when we were a different club......

I'll always be grateful for his contribution.

petrusha said:
Didsbury Dave said:
petrusha said:
In those days you could transfer a player and insist that he couldn't play in the next game against you. Joe Royle didn't bother to do that, and I remember us all saying the day before the game on the old BV that he was an absolute cert to get the winner against us at Bramall Lane. Of course, it ended 1-0 to the Blades, scorer Michael Brown. I was f**king livid.
You're right. I remember it well. I was at bramall lane that day and he bossed the game and went mad when he scored, too. Bad day. Was it the season we were relegated under royle?

It was the 1999-2000 promotion season when we got to the Prem. IIRC, he played centre midfield with Jeff Whitley in the play off final in May '99, with Cooke on the right and Horlock on the left. But he never really got a look in during the next season and had already been on loan at Pompey by the time we sold him to Sheff U round the turn of the year.

Because Royle achieved two successive promotions, his decisions at the time weren't really questioned. Brown wasn't the best player we ever had, but we'd have done better to keep him rather than sell him and buy Tony Grant for the exact same fee. Grant was a pretty underwhelming buy, to be honest.
That's right. And in the play off final he had a dreadful game. When he was substituted he looked devastated.

Tony grant. Jesus. Tony tramp the players called him. Unquestionably keeping brown would have been the right thing to do. Grant didnt even get many games that season. Brown was a very good player in his prime, at sheff united and spurs. I've a feeling we may have been linked with buying him back at some stage.

I was told he developed a hatred for city after we moved him on, even though he mixed in what might be described at pro-city south Manchester circles.

Funny moment in 2nd half:

Leeds Utd fans singing Michael Brown is not for sale

Didsbury Dave said:
petrusha said:
Didsbury Dave said:

That's right. And in the play off final he had a dreadful game. When he was substituted he looked devastated.

Tony grant. Jesus. Tony tramp the players called him. Unquestionably keeping brown would have been the right thing to do. Grant didnt even get many games that season. Brown was a very good player in his prime, at sheff united and spurs. I've a feeling we may have been linked with buying him back at some stage.

I was told he developed a hatred for city after we moved him on, even though he mixed in what might be described at pro-city south Manchester circles.

He had one particularly phenomenal season for Sheff U when he scored 20-odd goals and they just missed automatic promotion, then lost in the play offs. Keegan had got us back up to the Prem by then but I remember seeing the way he was playing and thinking he could still have been an asset to us.

I actually can relate to footballers harbouring a grudge against clubs they've left under bad circumstances. I still resent a couple of my former employers, too, where I feel I was treated badly! Obviously they aren't football clubs, but I think it's quite human. ;)

I'm a camera operator for EPSN, today I was based just by the tunnel pre match, Browney came out and I managed to have a chat with him, said he is glad that we have done what we have as a club as were a great set of fans and deserve it.

He was cracking jokes with Chappy for about 20 minutes he was a top bloke to be fair.

Browny will always get gyp for the type of player he is, so it was no surprise when he got booed for his, ahem, efforts with Yaya. He obviously came off worse given that he failed to appear for the second half.

Anyway he obviously still has a soft spot for City so good on him and good luck to him. Any kicking he does of our players is clearly him just doing his job.

bryan156 said:
I'm a camera operator for EPSN, today I was based just by the tunnel pre match, Browney came out and I managed to have a chat with him, said he is glad that we have done what we have as a club as were a great set of fans and deserve it.

He was cracking jokes with Chappy for about 20 minutes he was a top bloke to be fair.

Good to hear.

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:
Browny will always get gyp for the type of player he is, so it was no surprise when he got booed for his, ahem, efforts with Yaya. He obviously came off worse given that he failed to appear for the second half.

Anyway he obviously still has a soft spot for City so good on him and good luck to him. Any kicking he does of our players is clearly him just doing his job.

garcia did him just before half time, studs down the calf

City Raider said:
Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:

garcia did him just before half time, studs down the calf
Yep, revenge for the Yaya incident I reckon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.