Mick McCarthy

Can't have a McCarthy thread and not have his gif posted

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li4GfSsJxpk[/video]

Jack74 said:
taleofbluehalves said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:
goal v rags

Didn't City sign Tony Grealish to play in that game. What was he like? What did the players think of that.
How would he rate our current defenders and defending?

And John Gidman

and Varadi's home debut...

and was it Jimmy Frizzell's home debut as manager as well I wonder...?

ask mick what was harder for him.
kicking the ball really high in the air or
kicking the ball as far away as possible.
ask mick,
for free kicks would it have been better if he could
throw the ball instead.
and finally does he go to work on a horse.
Thanks .

I cant remember which game it was at Maine Road but we were losing and Mick wasn't having a great game. The crowd were jeering the odd pass he made and it got to the stage where quite a few of the Blues in the North Stand were actually booing him. When the ball went out of play, Mick was in the penalty area and turned to the Blues in the North Stand and told them all in his big booming Yorkshire voice to "F*** Off". He wasn't happy. After a stunned silence and the initial shock wore off, the whole North Stand crowd fell silent and never booed or jeered him again. He gained my respect that day. Can you ask Mick does he remember it because lots of us haven't forgot it!

ps. Tell him I'm sorry and I didn't really mean it (gulp). Also it was 20 odd years ago and I learned a lesson that day never to boo a City player ever again. I realised that the players can hear it, that it can't be pleasant and it is counter productive. Hopefully other Blues reading this will learn the lesson too. I also went to a supporters meeting a few weeks ago and listened to Richard Edgehill talk about his time at City. Now he really did suffer dogs abuse but he still had the guts to take a crucial penalty in the play off penalty shoot out in the Final against Gillingham. Maximum respect to that man too.

Bluebee2 said:
Always liked McCarthy at City and his goal against the scum is probably one of the best headed goals I ever witnessed.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Vra0gGVDI[/video]
Superb header...Love seeing old clips that include my uncle kenny Clements as well

Notinmylifetime said:
I cant remember which game it was at Maine Road but we were losing and Mick wasn't having a great game. The crowd were jeering the odd pass he made and it got to the stage where quite a few of the Blues in the North Stand were actually booing him. When the ball went out of play, Mick was in the penalty area and turned to the Blues in the North Stand and told them all in his big booming Yorkshire voice to "F*** Off". He wasn't happy. After a stunned silence and the initial shock wore off, the whole North Stand crowd fell silent and never booed or jeered him again. He gained my respect that day. Can you ask Mick does he remember it because lots of us haven't forgot it!

ps. Tell him I'm sorry and I didn't really mean it (gulp). Also it was 20 odd years ago and I learned a lesson that day never to boo a City player ever again. I realised that the players can hear it, that it can't be pleasant and it is counter productive. Hopefully other Blues reading this will learn the lesson too. I also went to a supporters meeting a few weeks ago and listened to Richard Edgehill talk about his time at City. Now he really did suffer dogs abuse but he still had the guts to take a crucial penalty in the play off penalty shoot out in the Final against Gillingham. Maximum respect to that man too.

Remember McCarthy getting some stick from some fans before a game at Southend on a midweek League Cup tie........he went over and took issue...brilliant.Great player for City.

Our best centre back in the 80s .
We even made a profit on him when he moved to Celtic .
I liked him anyway .

lastmanback said:
ask mick what was harder for him.
kicking the ball really high in the air or
kicking the ball as far away as possible.
ask mick,
for free kicks would it have been better if he could
throw the ball instead.
and finally does he go to work on a horse.
Thanks .

Wow.
Just wow.
Not only do you insult a top blue repeatedly but you manage to squeeze in a snivelling example of post colonial bigotry.
For what it's worth, he kicked it as far as two World Cups and one European Championship - captaining his country and holding Linekar and Van Basten (on two occasions each) scoreless whilst doing so. He headed it as far as a professional career in three countries, winning a league in Scotland when that was still a major achievement. He also served City with considerably more respect and common decency than your post suggests you would ever be capable of mustering.

mad4city said:
Wow.
Just wow.
Not only do you insult a top blue repeatedly but you manage to squeeze in a snivelling example of post colonial bigotry.
For what it's worth, he kicked it as far as two World Cups and one European Championship - captaining his country and holding Linekar and Van Basten (on two occasions each) scoreless whilst doing so. He headed it as far as a professional career in three countries, winning a league in Scotland when that was still a major achievement. He also served City with considerably more respect and common decency than your post suggests you would ever be capable of mustering.
Nicely put.
Everyone knew Mick's deficiencies, but nobody more than himself. He played a simple game. Kept to his strengths. I listened to one critic over here, for all the years you mention above, lambasting him and telling us how he would be found out. But it never happened. Not in the Irish team anyway.
He was a very good captain. Even though he was not the best footballer he was a true leader on the park. Him and Moran as the CBs would run through a brick wall for the team.
We could do with the likes of them now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.