Middlesbrough wear United Shirts V City!

Gary James

On this day in 1981 Middlesbrough played at Maine Road wearing United's shirts in a League game! It's an interesting story but were you there? I know I was but at the match I genuinely thought they just had a lookalike kit not the actual United kit. It was only after the game that I knew the truth. The story, video & reports of that game are here (follow the link):

Obviously, we've had days where a team has changed into away kits (City v Spurs a couple of times) and there was also a desperate rush to get hold of a Queens Park goalkeeping kit at a City friendly once, but borrowing United's kit to face City in a League game must surely be a one-off?

On this day in 1981 Middlesbrough played at Maine Road wearing United's shirts in a League game! It's an interesting story but were you there? I know I was but at the match I genuinely thought they just had a lookalike kit not the actual United kit. It was only after the game that I knew the truth. The story, video & reports of that game are here (follow the link):

Obviously, we've had days where a team has changed into away kits (City v Spurs a couple of times) and there was also a desperate rush to get hold of a Queens Park goalkeeping kit at a City friendly once, but borrowing United's kit to face City in a League game must surely be a one-off?
Yeah was there and noticed the badge on the day.Never knew to this day why it had happened though. I thought they had forgotten to put their kit on the coach. Cheers for info.

Slightly before my time so I don't remember tit but the details about the television broadcasting rights and shirt sponsorship is really interesting. Comparing that period to the ultra-professionalism of today where everything is micro analysed shows how much the game has changed.

I was there in the Kippax, as usual, that day. I recall one of my mates saying after 20 mins or so that their shirts looked like the rags'. We'd all had a few pints in the Osborne House beforehand so we didn't think anything about it until one of the Smoggies came to take a throw in just by us. Couldn't believe our eyes :-)

I was there in the Kippax, as usual, that day. I recall one of my mates saying after 20 mins or so that their shirts looked like the rags'. We'd all had a few pints in the Osborne House beforehand so we didn't think anything about it until one of the Smoggies came to take a throw in just by us. Couldn't believe our eyes :-)
Loved the osborne

Having lived up there for a while(around the time of them getting to the UEFA cup final-or whatever it was called then) I know this backwater is absolutely riddled with plastic Manyooo fans..but soon as Boro do anything, the mixed up bastards are then backing the home town team..they go shite, the Rag tops are out again! So this story just sums this football club and its fans. Glory seeking bastards!

Scruffy twats.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.