More4 +1, Falklands.

Balti said:
well that was settlement too but there was already an indigenous population in NI so an entirely different scenario

Falklands was a bunch of empty windswept islands that we populated before Argentina even existed

Appreciate its a different scenario. But in one instance it is we got there first and in the other it is we didn't get there first but we overpowered those that were. So we can lay claim either way

Anyway ill leave that there. Your understanding is far greater than mine.

johnmc said:
stony said:
johnmc said:
Serious question. How did the Falklands come to be British?

We were the first people to settle it and stay. Argentina's only claim to the Falklands is that it used to be a Spanish colony and so where they. When Spain gave Argentina independence they automatically assumed they were entitled to the Falklands too.
Argentina has never colonised or had a valid claim to the Falkland Isles.

Ok. Fair enough. So playing devils advocate here. Do England/Britain have a valid claim to Northern Ireland. Don't want to take this off topic sorry.

Completely different argument John but if a vote was taken in NI over sovereignty what would the outcome be ?
Genuine question because I have no idea what the ratio of Royalist to Rebel is.

Balti said:
johnmc said:
stony said:
We were the first people to settle it and stay. Argentina's only claim to the Falklands is that it used to be a Spanish colony and so where they. When Spain gave Argentina independence they automatically assumed they were entitled to the Falklands too.
Argentina has never colonised or had a valid claim to the Falkland Isles.

Ok. Fair enough. So playing devils advocate here. Do England/Britain have a valid claim to Northern Ireland. Don't want to take this off topic sorry.

well that was settlement too but there was already an indigenous population in NI so an entirely different scenario

Falklands was a bunch of empty windswept islands that we populated before Argentina even existed

I also think in history ownership of land has changed many times, the only fair way to decide anything if we are ever going to settle these problems is to go with the wishes of the inhabitants

stony said:
Completely different argument John but if a vote was taken in NI over sovereignty what would the outcome be ?

The last thing I saw on the subject was a couple of years ago. It was saying that the unionists/British/Protestants however you want to look at it, outnumber the nationalists/Irish/Catholics by a ratio of about 53% to47% (from memory) but the nationalist population was faster growing. So in x amount of years the majority could be different from today.

Look I have family there. I've. Cousins around my age as well as younger in their teens and early twenties. They aren't even arsed as such. Just want a peaceful life.

Anyway. I agree totally different scenarios. If I'm right well over 90% of the people on the Falklands want to remain as they are.

Sorry, another thought, in this age of cost cutting, if say it cost more to keep the Falklands British than it brought in, would the government still want to keep it or just fuck the inhabitants over?

johnmc said:
Sorry, another thought, in this age of cost cutting, if say it cost more to keep the Falklands British than it brought in, would the government still want to keep it or just fuck the inhabitants over?

No joking you could say that about wales and northern Ireland, maybe even scotland dependent on north sea oil rights

hilts said:
johnmc said:

No joking you could say that about wales and northern Ireland, maybe even scotland dependent on north sea oil rights

Reckon your right about Northern Ireland. They would fuck that off straight away if it was that easy.

johnmc said:
stony said:

The last thing I saw on the subject was a couple of years ago. It was saying that the unionists/British/Protestants however you want to look at it, outnumber the nationalists/Irish/Catholics by a ratio of about 53% to47% (from memory) but the nationalist population was faster growing. So in x amount of years the majority could be different from today.

Look I have family there. I've. Cousins around my age as well as younger in their teens and early twenties. They aren't even arsed as such. Just want a peaceful life.

Anyway. I agree totally different scenarios. If I'm right well over 90% of the people on the Falklands want to remain as they are.

Yep, 99.7%.

only THREE voters in the last election voted for Argentinian rule, and I am guessing they did that for fits and giggles as every islander knew it wasn't going to happen.

johnmc said:

From memory I seem to recall that there are vast mineral deposits in the seas off the coasts of the islands and we want to keep them for their value in the future when extracting them becomes more cost effective. However, if that wasn't the case I still reckon this Government would opt to keep them as we fought hard to retake them and it's still in living memory and would therefore be political suicide to let them go.

Rascal said:
stony said:
I doubt we would have the military capability to do it now.

We would struggle to take back the Isle of Wight now

We have a capability lull at the moment, but the 2 aircraft carriers, lightning 2, type 45 destroyers, astute class submarines, trident replacement, globemaster and tranche 3 typhoons will bring us back to almost full strength.

The one gap that will never be replaced is Nimrod which had a full C4ISTAR suite.

I just hope that they give our infantry regiments a proper rest before starting new wars.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.