Motivation for next season or collective blow to the team's psyche? Time will tell.

Yep, Pep tried to learn from the league game, but tinkered in the wrong way, hence the weakness and confusion.

So he has demonstrated he can learn but he’s still got to make the correct changes, which last night he failed to do.
Agree with this
Last season I berated him for his lack of pragmatism when he continued playing his way with fullbacks that couldn't.
I think most of us thought some sort of tinkering last night might help to nullify the threat of Salah
However leaving Sterling out was not the answer. It did unbalance us badly all over the pitch.

We might as well not turn up then next week.

Do me a fucking favour. It's a two-legged tie for a team that is just about to deliver the title in English record quick time.

It's not the players who have to change, it's the mentality of many of our fans.

Let's see how many of our fans have already chucked in the towel and don't come on Tuesday, rather than coming in the belief that Pep and our lads won't let us down again.
Just realistic, the 3 goal gap is too big to turnaround. Would love to eat my words but on this occasion, we are most def out! Will enjoy the game regardless.

Do me a fucking favour. It's a two-legged tie for a team that is just about to deliver the title in English record quick time.

It's not the players who have to change, it's the mentality of many of our fans.

Let's see how many of our fans have already chucked in the towel and don't come on Tuesday, rather than coming in the belief that Pep and our lads won't let us down again.
Exactly mate, not over by a long stretch. Their squad is wafer thin and without Salah and Henderson, plus their derby on Sat, then if we get a goal in the first 10 mins they will fall apart.

a win at the weekend, and nothing this team can do from that point on will i consider a let down. no shame in going out to a liverpool side who played some excellent football last night. the tie is still on, unlikely, but on.

There is, but it's set up perfectly. We needed a goal back, and came within a whisker of getting it. Jesus goal should have stood, but really that 1st half was a collective disaster that I hope lingers long in our players memory. Maybe then something good will come of it.

Of course. You learn far more from your mistakes than from cruising to victory week after week.

I look at players like Ramos and Marcelo and Ronaldo, players who do it on the big stage year in year out, and I don't see that mental strength in our team (or any other team come to that). It's what we have to aim for and it will be enjoyable trying to get there. And there will be setbacks along the way. Last night was one, I don't see it as history or psyche defining in any way. Indeed, imagine if we do overturn it. Will we suddenly be a "great" team again or will we just have done to Liverpool what they did to us ?

As you say, "time will tell".

I'm coming Tuesday, I've not chucked in the towel, I'm lightly holding a couple of threads still, but Klippitty will go for the same arrangement - asthma medication and hope it doesn't run out till the 80th minute, we'll have a set of officials who have clearly learned every fuckin' word from the Uefa hymn sheet, and a couple of players who won't have their game of the season just when its needed! But I'm just a little more full with hope than despair.

Of course. You learn far more from your mistakes than from cruising to victory week after week.

I look at players like Ramos and Marcelo and Ronaldo, players who do it on the big stage year in year out, and I don't see that mental strength in our team (or any other team come to that). It's what we have to aim for and it will be enjoyable trying to get there. And there will be setbacks along the way. Last night was one, I don't see it as history or psyche defining in any way. Indeed, imagine if we do overturn it. Will we suddenly be a "great" team again or will we just have done to Liverpool what they did to us ?

Precisely-this is a team that had/has aspirations to being "great" -a team to go down in the annals as legendary-multiple trophy winners etc etc and this was pricked last night- however be interesting to see the comments if we turn it round in the next leg as that would really be the stuff of "legends"-lets hope so-no doubt we have the ability to put them to the sword so lets see how "great" the 2018 vintage are.
Or maybe I'll wake up in a minute and realise it was a bad dream-I was absolutely convinced we would have learnt from the previous whupping and were going to com eaway with both a victory AND away goals.
Derby should be interesting though!!!

I think the rub of the green had a greater impact on the scoreline than our players' performances - one Dipper offside goal given, one onside City goal disallowed, and a stoner on Sterling not given. Had we scored the latter then it finishes all square at 2-2 and we have two away goals! There are too many variables in football to fasten onto any one cause for an outcome but we are just a whisker or two between 3-0 and 2-2! We might even have benefitted from VAR!

Some perspective at last. Even though we didn’t play well, once again we suffered from poor decisions, and the score line could have been totally different. That’s the corruption in the European comps. They’re corrupt from start to finish.

I think the biggest potential problem is that Pep didn't trust the team that has us on the brink of the PL title.

Bringing in Gundo who has been a reserve, fill in player all season was a really strange thing to do.

I like that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.