Movie Discussion Thread | Upcoming Releases etc..

The film ratio doesn't change anything. In fact you don't even notice it and, probably, enhances the experience! Who knew that would happen, with us being subjected to 16:9 now.

I understand Snyder's reasoning that you 'see more' rather than being chopped and lengthened out.

Oh, and this will never be released in 16:9, in my opinion.

of course aspect ratio changes things. its makes my TV viewing tiny now by reducing the size of the visible display by quite a bit. I have a 43 inch TV, 4:3 will reduce that to probably 28inch, 32 if i'm lucky which is frankly tiny.

I'll probably have to end up watching it on my PC so the screen is closer to my eyes so not as much of an effect.

One review pointed out that all the text in the film is in place to crop to 16:9 so could just do it anyway.

if I had a massive 60+ inch tv then this would be less of an issue.

Last edited:
of course aspect ratio changes things. its makes my TV viewing tiny now by reducing the size of the visible display by quite a bit. I have a 43 inch TV, 4:3 will reduce that to probably 28inch, 32 if i'm lucky which is frankly tiny.

I'll probably have to end up watching it on my PC so the screen is closer to my eyes so not as much of an effect.

One review pointed out that all the text in the film is in place to crop to 16:9 so could just do it anyway.

Yet if it was letterboxed you lose the top and bottom but gain width, you actually see more if the picture in 1.33

Well, I was talking, specifically, on this film not 4:3 as a universal effect. Snyder uses the format excellently and I never noticed that it wasn't in 16:9.

Perhaps if I needed subtitles, it would have been a problem!

The only time I noticed it was 4:3 was when I, actively, turned my focal point to remind myself that it was in the 'controversial' format!

Yet if it was letterboxed you lose the top and bottom but gain width, you actually see more if the picture in 1.33
its a bit of a subject change, that would be entirely dependant on what it was filmed on in the 1st place. if he'd used 70mm film them he'll actually have been cropping the sides off to get 4:3. if he used 35mm then its cropping top / bottom to fit 16:9.

but that's neither here not there for me. 4:3 reduces my visible display size to a point where its not really worth using my TV.

but seemingly it was planned for wide screen in post production as all the text is set up for it.

So people can watch it zoomed if they want which is good. allows the choice.

All in all, films are in the most filmed with wide screen in mind, all cinemas are wide screen which is pretty much the driving force there.

I'll watch it as he intended, but will probably be laptop/tablet instead of TV.

Last edited:

Actually, you would probably want to watch it on an iPad or something since that would fill it out nicely. But, according to the man himself, the film is being preserved in it's original state and he would have had to cut it to 16:9, so you are getting so see more than you did in the first cut. Since Snyder wanted this to be viewed on IMAX which is closer to 4:3, i guess either the best options are the iPad (if you really don't want black bars on the side) or a bigger screen. I've been watching on a 55" OLED and forgot about it after a few mins, i have a 65" as well that i'll be trying it on at a later date.

All this talk of big screen TV's makes me think about on guy who lives on our road. He has a MASSIVE TV, and only sits about 9' away from the screen. The screen is so big, I could actually read the ticker-tape on SSN from the other side of the road if I wanted to.

I have a 32" TV which is fine, and I sit about the same distance away form the screen (maybe a little closer, but not much). This means the whole of the screen sits in my prime viewing area, so I get decent quality HD viewing across the whole screen. Anything bigger than 32" and it would be wasted as the drop off in quality of the viewers vision makes a large HD screen absolutely pointless, because once you get away from the centre of your vision the outer pixels start to become a blurred mess anyway.

I've just finished myself and I'd agree with you.

I only had a few issues with the CGI (obviously needed more money than WB would give) but, to me, it has singlehandedly dismantled most of the Marvel dessert type offerings, if not all of it.

It had meat and bone and it didn't let up. To think I hated 'Barry Allen' the first time around, but now I thought he was epic!

It just goes to show what an epic re-telling of the story, that was.

About as comic book and enjoyable as it can get.

Clearly neither Affleck nor Cavill are done, but the multiverse door has been opened, very cleverly!!

This is THE right path and I hope WB sticks to this quality!
I think that extra run time has been used brilliantly. It really lets you into the back story of a lot of the characters and can sway opinion on someone people may previously have disliked.

The ending certainly opened a few doors, although I can’t see the new Knightmare working as a sequel. I think the theme should remain on darkseed and his quest.

Also had no issue with the aspect ratio. Didn’t impact the viewing experience at all for me, something o comfortably lived with.

Just bought NowTV for it ( with HD booster ), Just trying it on my laptop but now TV seems to false positive that I have a video recorder so wont play.

trying on my mac and its actually letterboxed top and bottom as well as to the sides!! plus picture quality is shite.

time to try the tablet. Still a bit shite pic quality.

I think Now are having issues to be hoenst. Tablet has the same top/bottom boarder. Purlple lines added to show the full display window, blocked out image just for copyright concerns.

1616162840064.png

Note: this is a NOW TV Rant not the film!.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.