Moving abroad and filling your boots - back in the day

isab23502

Any ideas on what kind of wage difference (over their City wages) these lads might have got from moving abroad :-
Tueart at the Cosmos in 78
Watson in Germany (Bremen) in 79
Lots of players going to USA 80-82 (Donachie, Reid, Deyna, Steve Daley)
Players going to Hong Kong (Tommy Hutch etc) - early 1980's?

Yes, just had a look, 3 year contract at £1500 a week - quite a wedge in those days. Tueart's first contract with City in 1974 was £150 a week.
He definitely moved then because he was concerned about his place in the City side, as his book suggests then!

He definitely moved then because he was concerned about his place in the City side, as his book suggests then!

When he asked for a transfer, it was because Tony Book didn't restore him to the side after he'd been out injured, IIRC. Presumably at that stage Dennis thought he'd go to another English club. Not surprising, though, that he jumped at the chance to go to Cosmos when it came up.

When he asked for a transfer, it was because Tony Book didn't restore him to the side after he'd been out injured, IIRC. Presumably at that stage Dennis thought he'd go to another English club. Not surprising, though, that he jumped at the chance to go to Cosmos when it came up.

I think that's what he said in his book but a quick look at mcfcstats reveals no such period of absence (unless we are talking about one game) so I think Dennis is gilding the lily a bit with that story

I think that's what he said in his book but a quick look at mcfcstats reveals no such period of absence (unless we are talking about one game) so I think Dennis is gilding the lily a bit with that story

I think he was miffed already because Mike Channon was bought to play the role that DT wanted for himself (playing off the main striker, with licence to roam out wide). So the first time he was left out of the team when fit, he asked to go. IIRC, it was a 2nd replay of a League Cup tie against Luton at the 'neutral' Old Trafford.

I think he was miffed already because Mike Channon was bought to play the role that DT wanted for himself (playing off the main striker, with licence to roam out wide). So the first time he was left out of the team when fit, he asked to go. IIRC, it was a 2nd replay of a League Cup tie against Luton at the 'neutral' Old Trafford.
He was a lad who knew his own mind. I was so gutted when he left and so excited when he came back in 1980. His abilities had grown about x10 in my imagination and I expected a bicycle kick winner from him every game! Was it him or Dave Bennett who player up front in the Ipswich Cup Semi?

He was a lad who knew his own mind. I was so gutted when he left and so excited when he came back in 1980. His abilities had grown about x10 in my imagination and I expected a bicycle kick winner from him every game! Was it him or Dave Bennett who player up front in the Ipswich Cup Semi?

I had to look it up, but it was Bennett. Tommy Booth was on the bench.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.