My football life flashing before me

Sunday marks a new era of total domination, i said we'd fuck it up against United, i said we'd do the same at Newcastle and that inkling inside me says we will mess this one up as well.

That is the mentality of us city fans and it will be for some time simply because we remember where we came from, the shite we used to put up with but we didn't care.

I was there and experienced the crushed feeling 2-0 down against Gillingham, the agony of getting beat by Stockport at home, getting beat in the cup away at Lincoln City 4-1, relegation from the 1st division and numerous times from the Premier league, scoring just 10 goals at home in the ENTIRE 2006 season and barely surviving. We scored more goals than that in the first few games at home this year and finally being locked in Old Trafford while United celebrated reaching the carling cup final.

Something is different though, something was different in the 6-1 and the 1-0 against the rags, usually they get a last minute goal. When they scored their only goal in the 6-1 to make it 3-1 at the time i thought oh here we go. But this is a different team, a solid manager and the best group of players possibly we've ever seen at this club. The FA cup last year showed to us that we can win things, not just by playing a load of shite teams and getting lucky but by beating the best and then seeing it through.

We are better and we rightly deserve to be champions. We were all but buried a few weeks ago after Arsenal but in untypical city fashion just like at Spurs that day we came back and we are now in a position we never ever could of imagined ourselves being in. I just hope to god we get over the finishing line this weekend but the way the stats are going we will be celebrating the best result of our lives this weekend.

Just to square the circle with regards to the Gillingham game, this season has been a 38 match version of it. We looked comfortable, yet vulnerable. Then we got knocked out right at the end. We all gave up. Then we came back from the dead.

It's the final penalty now. The crowd are whistling, the keep is bouncing on the line.

It's about to happen.

Isn't it?

Didsbury Dave said:
Just to square the circle with regards to the Gillingham game, this season has been a 38 match version of it. We looked comfortable, yet vulnerable. Then we got knocked out right at the end. We all gave up. Then we came back from the dead.

It's the final penalty now. The crowd are whistling, the keep is bouncing on the line.

It's about to happen.

Isn't it?

Nicky Weaver wheeling away urging his team mates to join him.......

As this one looks like ”the thread of all threads”, It’s high time I wrote something ;)
I’ve been following City’s fortunes and misfortunes since I found a pretty worn-out Man City – Gornik Zabrze Cup Winners Cup Final programme in the early 90’s (to make things clear – I’m Polish).

On the eve of what is set to be the greatest day in living memory of all City fans who weren’t lucky enough to watch Mike Summerbee and Neil Young wearing City shirts with pride, I’d like to express my appreciation and respect for all MCFC fans. You’ve always been an epitome of loyalty and optimism. You stood by your football club when City experienced its darkest days in the Old Division Two. You’ve supported your club through thick and thin, being surrounded by legions of arrogant glory hunters.

Have some f**kin good time on Sunday – you deserve it.

Jesus wept. Never read such tripe in all my life. This thread is so full of self pity it's untrue. Woe is me. We were picked on at school by Nited fans, they took the piss when they beat us in the Carling Cup, we nearly lost to Gillingham. Get over it. Lots more football supporters have to put up with a lot more shit than we ever have to.

Gingers Dad said:
Jesus wept. Never read such tripe in all my life. This thread is so full of self pity it's untrue. Woe is me. We were picked on at school by Nited fans, they took the piss when they beat us in the Carling Cup, we nearly lost to Gillingham. Get over it. Lots more football supporters have to put up with a lot more shit than we ever have to.

oh ffs

Didsbury Dave said:
I forgot to add.

This one is for those of us who were locked in Old Trfford after the carling cup defeat. Who watched a bunch of 20 year old fucking dorks bounce around.

They thought it would always be like that. Glory glory Man United. Let's all laugh at City.

First we took their banner.
Then we took their dignity.
Now we are going to take their trophy.

Couldn't agree more, we've had it bad for quite some time. I want the change in fortunes just to see the rags that jump ship likes rats. Will be as funny as fuck as they try to sell out the swamp without the plastics and no silverware.

Gingers Dad said:
Assuming you are not fishing I would state that this week, of all weeks, we are entitled to reflect where we have come from and what we have had to endure in so doing.

Everyone has their own personal moments. Being the only City fan in a family of reds I've certainly had my share. Watching the rest of them go to three Champions League Finals was difficult, although turning down a ticket for the 1999 Final was the easiest decision of my life.

The Derby when we were 2-0 up and Keane scored the winner was especially hard, not because it happened,but because I expected it to happen. Also being sat amonst united fans at old trafford with them singing: "City, Manchester City, nobody knows our name" to the Rupert the Bear theme tune was another difficult moment, because at that moment I felt that the two clubs were moving in opposite directions in perpetuity.

I would be lying if on occasions I didn't feel I'd backed the wrong horse and I just accepted the consequences of a decision I made when I was seven. Upon reflection, however, I feel that was among the best decisions of my life. Reading this thread has reminded me of the colourful and interesting journey this club has been on. I do not believe there is a narrative to match it in world sport and I feel priveledged to have been part of it. Being a City fan is one of the things that defines me.

Did anyone really think where we now find ourselves would or could really happen when we sat there living through our own moments of hell so wonderfully recounted on this thread? The fact we didn't is what will make the next few years all the sweeter.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Gingers Dad said:
Assuming you are not fishing I would state that this week, of all weeks, we are entitled to reflect where we have come from and what we have had to endure in so doing.

Everyone has their own personal moments. Being the only City fan in a family of reds I've certainly had my share. Watching the rest of them go to three Champions League Finals was difficult, although turning down a ticket for the 1999 Final was the easiest decision of my life.

The Derby when we were 2-0 up and Keane scored the winner was especially hard, not because it happened,but because I expected it to happen. Also being sat amonst united fans at old trafford with them singing: "City, Manchester City, nobody knows our name" to the Rupert the Bear theme tune was another difficult moment, because at that moment I felt that the two clubs were moving in opposite directions in perpetuity.

I would be lying if on occasions I didn't feel I'd backed the wrong horse and I just accepted the consequences of a decision I made when I was seven. Upon reflection, however, I feel that was among the best decisions of my life. Reading this thread has reminded me of the colourful and interesting journey this club has been on. I do not believe there is a narrative to match it in world sport and I feel priveledged to have been part of it. Being a City fan is one of the things that defines me.

Did anyone really think where we now find ourselves would or could really happen when we sat there living through our own moments of hell so wonderfully recounted on this thread? The fact we didn't is what will make the next few years all the sweeter.

Perfectly put my friend

My dad died last year- was just before the cup final. But he knew, he knew he were back.

My dad took me in the 70s and we had done the whole range of emotions, false dawns, piss taking, returning from away trips not speaking for 5 hours, cold nights at Maine Road, when the ground was like a morgue and sneaking to away games so you wouldnt get battered.

This win, will be for the old, bold, eternally optimistic and profoundly stupid. The guys who smile at a fellow blue, nod and crack a joke. Pies and pints with folks you have never met, but just for that moment were your best mate.

Thats us then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.