Name the players in this 1964/5 squad

I recall opposition defenders literally bouncing off Derek Kevan every match. He was a perfect example of a 'brick outhouse'.
As kids, we used to wait to see the players at the car park before games, Derek looked like a giant. I was amazed to find out from his obituary that he was only 5' 11" and weighed 12 stone.
Scunny at home win 8-1… my first game!
Scunthorpe scored when Harry Dowd tried to head ball round post!

Nope - Just checked & Barlow scored in that game. Not sure if the photo was taken at Maine Road. With the black arm bands I would have thought it likely to be immediately following Munich. Thus either Spuds away on the 8th Feb (lost 1-5, Hayes scored) or Leicester away on 22 Feb (lost 4-8 - yes 8 ! - Johnstone 2, Barnes, McAdams).

Reckon it must have been Spuds away on the 8th Feb. We wouldn't have been playing in sky blue at Leicester.

Bit of a brain teaser this ! Where's Gary James when we need him ? Lol.
I think the photo was taken at the public practice match at Maine Road on 17th August 1957 between the first team (Blues) and reserves (Maroons).
City should have played Sheffield Wednesday in the opening game of the season on the following Saturday (24th August), but that game was postponed as many of the Wednesday players were ill with Asian Flu, which was about to sweep through the country. As a result, City arranged another public practice match, during which Jack Dyson,(1st left sitting on the photo) broke his leg and didn’t play again for two years.
As to the black armbands, I’ve no idea, unless one of the directors say, or a prominent former player had passed on.

I think the photo was taken at the public practice match at Maine Road on 17th August 1957 between the first team (Blues) and reserves (Maroons).
City should have played Sheffield Wednesday in the opening game of the season on the following Saturday (24th August), but that game was postponed as many of the Wednesday players were ill with Asian Flu, which was about to sweep through the country. As a result, City arranged another public practice match, during which Jack Dyson,(1st left sitting on the photo) broke his leg and didn’t play again for two years.
As to the black armbands, I’ve no idea, unless one of the directors say, or a prominent former player had passed on.
I was there. My first ever game with my Dad.

Dave Watson always seemed bigger on the pitch...
I remember meeting Tommy Booth after a High Flying Birds concert in Blu bar in town, he was with his grand kids, in 2014. Whilst chatting with him he mentioned Dave Watson and I said to him that he was a colossal centre half. Tommy replied that he was but he wasn’t that tall, which surprised me because I thought he was well over six feet tall.

I missed the Boro match with flu but was "one of the 8000" for Swindon.

The Huddersfield 6-1 was before the Scunthorpe 8-1. The return was only a couple of days later. BR had got a special train on (a diesel multiple unit) but so many people turned up at Piccadilly that they put fans on a scheduled train to London Marylebone via Sheffield, and diverted it to Scunthorpe. I've no idea what they did for passengers from Sheffield on toward London. Funny though - I can't remember which train I was on.

I don't know when it was but a special train for a match at Hull was delayed when it hit a cow.
6-1 was Rotherham mate,not Huddersfield.

Neil Young carried on where he left off at the end of the 68/69 season (the Cup Final), by scoring the only goal of the game. It was the third round tie at Hull. I went on the Trans Pennine service that day, rather than the "Special".
Then the rags stuffed us 3-0 at OT.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.