Naomi Osaka refusing to speak to the media - Is she right or wrong?

mr t

Naomi Osaka is the highest earning female athlete in the world and she’s refusing to do any media interviews at all at the French Open because she says she feels that the said interviews are negative experiences which have an effect on her mental health and she just doesn’t need that in her life any more.
Is it part of her job as an elite athlete to tow the line and continue to take part in media interviews which she feels are making her ill or should she be allowed to say she’s had enough of it all and kick the media into touch?
Is she right or wrong to be trying to protect her own mental health?
I personally think she’s right but what does everybody else think?

As somebody who has used the media to help receive sponsorship from various companies then I feel she has a duty to speak. It provides exposure for their brands. It's just a part of the job at that level regardless of whether she enjoys doing it or not. Nobody can pick and choose the bits they want to do in other professions so why should she be any different?

I kind of understand what she means with the whole thing but from what I've read this whole situation has came right out the blue. Surely if you felt this strongly, you would speak to the organisers and the Association before you decide not to fulfil your media duties? The amount of money that sponsors put forward that ends up in the pockets of the competitors kind of point to a battle that she will never ever win.

It's strange how people crave all the press coverage when they are climbing up the ladder but once they are at the top they shun it. The press have an unfortunate history of pushing people off the top of the ladder so I can see her view to a certain extent.

Change jobs then. Millions of people go to work and have to deal with lots of situations they'd rather not have to, but if they want paying they have no choice.

If part of her obligations, or job responsibility, is to give interviews in return for being paid good money for competing in tournaments then she has to do so. If not give up professional tennis and play for fun and no cash at her local tennis club. Her choice.

There are elements of my job I find are a wholly negative experience. I still have to do it. She should play tennis in the park if she doesn’t want the responsibilities of elite sport.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.