NASA's big announcement - Mars

Flowing water i think.
No way. That'll be a let down. Water flowing on Mars has been known about for over a decade. It just doesn't seem to anymore and is all frozen up at the top and bottom. If that's what the big announcement is I'm gonna be hugely disappointed. We have the tech and the knowledge to build shit there. If nasa want to make a big deal of this then the actual announcement better be worth it. Water on Mars if you have ever seen images from the rover is not going to happen. The only water there is ice. Nasa better have something good up their sleeve.

No way. That'll be a let down. Water flowing on Mars has been known about for over a decade. It just doesn't seem to anymore and is all frozen up at the top and bottom. If that's what the big announcement is I'm gonna be hugely disappointed. We have the tech and the knowledge to build shit there. If nasa want to make a big deal of this then the actual announcement better be worth it. Water on Mars if you have ever seen images from the rover is not going to happen. The only water there is ice. Nasa better have something good up their sleeve.

The press conf is at 3:30pm.

You realise we, as a human race, have never found actual (not evidence of) liquid flowing water on any celestial body other than Earth?

Finding this would be a let down?

Not saying that's what it will be, but I'm confused by this view. It would be one of the most significant discoveries of all time. The most basic of ingredients of life on another planet as we know it, especially on a planet we thought had no flowing water left on it, just ice and evidence of water in it's past.

You also rightly point out the water we know of on Mars is the polar ice caps, and that water elsewhere isn't going to happen. Surely by that token, if they have found it, it's pretty significant, no?

This is all conjecture until the announcement anyway.

I'm thinking it'll be the identification of traces of water, or rock/geological formations of a nature that are indicative of past life (Limestone for example).

doctor-who-new-ice-warrior-series-7.jpg

You realise we, as a human race, have never found actual (not evidence of) liquid flowing water on any celestial body other than Earth?

Finding this would be a let down?

Not saying that's what it will be, but I'm confused by this view. It would be one of the most significant discoveries of all time. The most basic of ingredients of life on another planet as we know it, especially on a planet we thought had no flowing water left on it, just ice and evidence of water in it's past.

You also rightly point out the water we know of on Mars is the polar ice caps, and that water elsewhere isn't going to happen. Surely by that token, if they have found it, it's pretty significant, no?

This is all conjecture until the announcement anyway.
But finding water on Mars isn't going to happen. Not flowing water. The planet is too far away from the sun for it to allow it. That's why the only water anymore on there is ice. Earth might go the same way eventually. We won't be around to see it but it might. I'm really hoping they're gonna build something on there. Anything else will be a let down. Imho.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.