Nathan Ake

Ake is an ideal player for us at 4th choice IMO - a good PL proven player, who's also now proved himself in our team last season, has the pace and flexibility to cover LB in a pinch, home grown, decent enough on the ball.

This sale only makes sense if Ake himself has asked to leave and has been promised more game time at Chelsea. Which I've no idea if that is the case.

I understand the whole not keeping players who don't want to be here, but selling him off, just means we have to go and find another 4th choice CB and hope they're good enough when asked to fill in and happy to sit on the bench for most PL games. We're already having quite a big change to our team and the more chopping and changing likely just makes everything clicking in place take that bit longer.

I see the urgency with Sterling/Jesus, its either now for £100m or free next season, but Ake must have like 4 years left - even if he wants to leave, we surely just say here's your price, if Chelsea match it then fine, but otherwise we expect you'll stay. There shouldn't even be any negotiating with Chelsea, we hold all the cards, set a price and if they meet it so be it, if not they can look elsewhere.

Ake is an ideal player for us at 4th choice IMO - a good PL proven player, who's also now proved himself in our team last season, has the pace and flexibility to cover LB in a pinch, home grown, decent enough on the ball.

This sale only makes sense if Ake himself has asked to leave and has been promised more game time at Chelsea. Which I've no idea if that is the case.

I understand the whole not keeping players who don't want to be here, but selling him off, just means we have to go and find another 4th choice CB and hope they're good enough when asked to fill in and happy to sit on the bench for most PL games. We're already having quite a big change to our team and the more chopping and changing likely just makes everything clicking in place take that bit longer.

I see the urgency with Sterling/Jesus, its either now for £100m or free next season, but Ake must have like 4 years left - even if he wants to leave, we surely just say here's your price, if Chelsea match it then fine, but otherwise we expect you'll stay. There shouldn't even be any negotiating with Chelsea, we hold all the cards, set a price and if they meet it so be it, if not they can look elsewhere.
Everything I read suggests your last paragraph is exactly what we’ve done and that price is c£50M. Would seem entirely sensible to take the money in that range for me. I get the sentiment but I keep going back to the fact this lad has played 1700 minutes of PL football since he joined, and most of them at left back. If we get that kind of money for him and use it to fund Cucu or another quality LB who will start every week then it’s a great deal.

Why are we not looking at a free for cover,
England international,
Played 100's of premier games.
Described as the best defender in Europe.
Phil the face Jones, does not even have to move house.

He twice managed 90 minutes in back-to-back League games and once managed three games on the bounce. We either buy better to apply more pressure on the other three or get someone who is satisfied with such game time.

I’ve always been impressed by Max Kilman at Wolves - good on the ball, quick and good in the air. Might not quite be good enough for City but also might be worth a punt.

Yeah the name has been mentioned by me and a like one more.. (so not exactly viral, I forum-searched lol) hes established now in the Wolves side, wonder if he wants to leave for an unsettled role and Wolves takes top dollars for their players if Mendes isn't doing something fishy with the buying club lol.
So he might end up not being much cheaper than the "top quality" ones. For example Wolves is rumoured to want 70m+ for Neves..

Maybe he feels he can push himself to the national side if he moves to Man City though.
Has always liked him, very nimble for being so big and left footed, good on the ball and decent pace as well.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.