Neil Young - 17th February 1944 - 3rd February 2011

The old codgers used to mumble “Not a patch on Doherty”. Never saw him so can’t comment but Nellie was terrific, a loverly elegant player.

Another City great who never received the credit he was due. Vastly underrated except by those who watched him playing regularly. Pleased to count myself amongst them.
Yeah I loved watching him back then. Those long legs of his made everything look so effortless.
People always say "Bell Lee & Summerbee" but I always include Young in that. He was a great player.
RIP Neil.

Neil was an established starter for City when I started watching in 1963. Neil and David Wagstaffe were the wingers for City back then. When Wagstaffe jumped ship to Wolves at Christmas I was gutted. It was much worse because I had to go down to Shropshire every Christmas and the best I could hope for was was to get the supporters' bus to watch a match at Wolverhampton on Boxing Day. I arrived at Molineux just as they were introducing their new signing: David Wagstaffe!

Fortunately Neil stayed with City and was certainly the most underrated of the key City players in the 1960s through to the early 1970s. I remember his goals at Newcastle in 1968 and his winner in the Cup Final a year later.

I recall a midweek match away to Ipswich. It may have been an FA Cup match. City won easily and we went for a drink after the game and were talking to some Ipswich supporters. They were unanimous that Neil Young was the best player on the pitch.

Last edited:
He lived in a block of flats on Spath Lane in Handforth. His flat was on the top floor and he overlooked my house. I use to wave to him all the time as he was always on his balcony. I always found it mad that he played for City scored an fa cup final goal and lived there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.