New Book "Who said City couldn't play!"

Nealy

I've written a book about City's 1936/7 title winning season.

The book tells in detail, for the first time, the story of a historic season - City's first Division One league title. It's 283 pages, around 100,000 words and is illustrated with a smattering of black and white photographs and cigarette cards. To break up the text further there are plenty of statistics and tables.

The book is priced at £7.99 including postage and packing and is available direct from myself. If anyone is interested in buying a copy, please send me a pm or email: philipneale1937@gmail.com.

It is also available on Amazon (but works out slightly more due to amazon fees): <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Said-City-Couldnt-Play/dp/0992727804/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386880377&sr=8-1&keywords=who+said+city+couldn%27t+play" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Said-City-C ... n%27t+play</a> and ebay <a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manchester-City-book-Who-said-City-couldnt-play-/231535954134?ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manchester-Ci ... CA:GB:1123</a>

Cheers,
Phil

ihlf.jpg

BOMBER7967 said:
Is it any good ;0)

Well, that's not for me to say Bomber! ;-)

All I'll say is I spent a lot of time researching and writing it and, indeed, I had a great deal of pleasure in doing that.

Most of the book documents the goings on at Maine Road, how the team developed during the season from a side nearer to relegation at Christmas to Champions by the end of April. Alongside that, I do look at some issues that were running through football at time too. It's interesting how many of those issues are similar to those of today such as attempted match fixing, crowd violence, pitch invasions, abuse of referees, the perception that footballers were privileged compared to ordinary folk, the youth of the day looking to footballers and cinema stars as their heroes, criticism of owners and directors of clubs, and a win at all costs mentality creeping into the game. Oh, and a failing England team.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Any chance of organising a reunion of the players as i'd love a signed copy ;)

Seriously, well done and i fully understand when you say it it was a pleasure to write - will get a copy :)

Cheers!

I have "Teenage Kicks" - great book. It was 'my era' so was great to read about. It must have been a fantastic experience meeting all those involved and interviewing them.

Nealy said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Any chance of organising a reunion of the players as i'd love a signed copy ;)

Seriously, well done and i fully understand when you say it it was a pleasure to write - will get a copy :)

Cheers!

I have "Teenage Kicks" - great book. It was 'my era' so was great to read about. It must have been a fantastic experience meeting all those involved and interviewing them.

Thanks :) It was, although Steve Redmond was the only one I spoke to (on phone) all the rest was via email with me or Andrew. I did have a brief initial chat with Paul Moulden.
Was really gutted I couldn't attend the book launch so I could actually meet them, but was there via Skype and spoke to a couple of them :)
Each time I received an email and just knew the contents fitted in perfectly with the text or what someone else had just sent in was a great feeling.

Look forward to reading about ''The Class of 37'' :)

Great to see that you've done this. I'll get hold of a copy. It's about time we paid a bit more attention to that success. If you need any help or advice, let me know. You've picked a great title - that's a title I was planning to use for a book I'm aiming to publish in about 2 years. Ah well, I'll think of another one now!

Good luck with it all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.