New football terminology is stupid

I agree, it is all gibberish. I never heard any of those terms when I was young, so maybe it's a generation thing.
Like a lot of people who are getting on a bit I don't identify with most people of a certain age group, teens, late teens etc.
Garbage like Celebrity Big Brother comes on and I've never heard of most of the so-called 'stars.'
Some of the 'stars' haven't heard of some of the 'stars' with whom they are sharing a programme.

Always found the crusade against xG really strange (but maybe I shouldn’t knowing the average football fan’s resistance to anything that sounds new). Nearly every team in the football league uses it. I wouldn’t be surprised if you asked Pep and he thought it was the second most important stat after actual goals. Why? Because it’s the best predictor of success, that’s literally what it was designed for. If you’re getting points but your xG is shite then it should be ringing alarm bells because it means you’re getting lucky and eventually your luck is going to run out (look at United this year who based on performances should be 12th).

Expected values have been around for literally hundreds of years and have been used in everything from sport to the stock market to computer science. It’s not new. It’s just that we’ve gotten better at measuring it in football thanks to computers.

If you are given the ability to see if your results are down to luck or actual performances, why would you not use it? Why give your opponents the competitive advantage? What’s people’s problem with it exactly?
Bollocks.
It's either a goal or it isn't.
Stick xfuckingg back in America or where ever if came frome

Always found the crusade against xG really strange (but maybe I shouldn’t knowing the average football fan’s resistance to anything that sounds new). Nearly every team in the football league uses it. I wouldn’t be surprised if you asked Pep and he thought it was the second most important stat after actual goals. Why? Because it’s the best predictor of success, that’s literally what it was designed for. If you’re getting points but your xG is shite then it should be ringing alarm bells because it means you’re getting lucky and eventually your luck is going to run out (look at United this year who based on performances should be 12th).

Expected values have been around for literally hundreds of years and have been used in everything from sport to the stock market to computer science. It’s not new. It’s just that we’ve gotten better at measuring it in football thanks to computers.

If you are given the ability to see if your results are down to luck or actual performances, why would you not use it? Why give your opponents the competitive advantage? What’s people’s problem with it exactly?
You take 20 shots on target and all are saved
opposition takes one and scores

you still fucking lost 1-0

Xg gives you a rating 19.6 or some such bollocks in expected goals and the opposition a 0.3

It doesn't make you think ooh we are lucky, for teams that thrive on a parking the bus and smash and grabs a low Xg is expected but they are performing perfectly as they plan, with Xg
George grahams very good arsenal title team would have a very low Xg but were not playing badly or lucky

Absolutely pointless stats that means fuck all to a game or it's outcome no wonder scouse fans love it, and wank over being top of the Xg table all the time

Number 1 is a goalie
2 and 3 are fullbacks
5 is a centre half
4 is a right half
6 is a left half
7 is a right winger
8 is an inside right
9 is a centre forward
10 is an inside left
11 is a left winger.

And then the game is infiltrated by Johnny Yanqui and Johnny Foreigner.

When I was growing up, Liverpool always used to have Number 5 as a midfield player for some reason. And Steve Highway used to wear Number 9, out on the wing.

I suspect he was more successful at his job in football than you have been, which kind of proves the point.

Totally inept manager looked at stats to give him an edge and maximised his potential.
He had moderate success and become incredibly rich for someone IN my opinion is of very average ability and he did that by giving the narrative that he was a modern, forward thinking manager and one of the ways he did that was with stats.

Some, me included would say that a lot of people who run football clubs are incredibly stupid and naive and fell for the bullsh1t the big fella spouted.

Allardyce was a very good man manager but tactically clueless, who was quickly sussed out by people who worked for and with him.

The fact that he was given the National job by the FA Suits backs this up.

There are many others who fall into this category, including the one and only Mark Leslie Hughes, who claimed and still does that he assembled the finest and best educated back room staff in world football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.