New Job

adrianr

Just after a bit of advice from you lot, if you would be so kind, especially those who have moved from comfortable long term jobs. Amongst the global politics I don't really understand and corky's landlady I've seen some pretty good help dolled out on all manner of things, so I welcome any thoughts.

Basically I was at my first company for a fair while. In this time I had, like many long term employees, built up certain comforts. The work wasn't the most thrilling out there but I was under no great stress and I had free run of the place to a point. Good friends with the director (small company), which was the case for everyone I worked with bar one person. A genuinely good crowd. It did however, feel a bit lacking in ambition.

Then over the course of a couple of weeks I was approached by a few other companies. Same job, more money, usual story. My company I knew payed on the lower end of average for my job, and as you often don't get large pay rises without moving anyway, I was faced with some pretty large raises wherever I chose to go. This, combined with a little feeling of stagnation and the one person I didn't particularly get on with mentioned above lead me to take up one of these offers. It's also a good feeling knowing others value my skill enough to poach me for lots of money, so at this point I potentially had a slightly inflated sense of self worth. A few months later here I am at company B.

The first day I was uncharacteristically filled with dread. I suddenly had none of my creature comforts, new workplace, new people, and an overwhelming feeling of 'Shit, what have you done? You dickhead'.

As the week wore on I felt a little more involved, but now starting the second week this Monday feels exactly like the last one. I'm currently running through a hundred and one different scenarios. Can I just swallow my pride and ask for my old job back? Is that even a good idea? I will inevitably have to take a pay cut so what about savings? I'm nowhere near a house deposit and never would have been on my previous wage in London (big reason for me leaving), was I going to hit thirty and still be no closer to owning a home? Should that even matter?

Should you ever go back? Lets say for whatever reason, company b just isn't for me. What is a good point to determine that is the case, and it's not just the fear of something new talking? A month? 2? Maybe I should just stick this out for 6 months, take the money and run?

Any help appreciated. I know it's early days but I'm still interested to hear if you've done something similar.

I was at my old job for 10 years and like you had become very comfortable, got on well with the bosses, knew all the clients and was very much left to my own devices. But I was bored and decided to look for a new job which I got very quickly and moved. I spent the first few months going home and crying thinking oh no what have I done, I hated my new job and there was one bloke who was absolute poison.

However it took me about 2 years to fully settle in and get to the point where I felt as comfortable as I did in my old job. Ive now been here over 9 years and love it. Looking back Im glad I moved for all sorts of reasons not least of which, money but the first 2 years were definitely hard going.

Hang in there - it will probably be worth it and no don't ever think about going back!

About 5 years ago now, I changed jobs and ended up in a job where I had pretty much been lied to about what to do. After 2 weeks I thought bollocks to this and called my old boss back up to be promptly told that my position had been filled the day I left (my heart sunk so so low at that moment). Also nobody would touch me really as having a CV with 1 month of work at a company is not exactly top notch. So I stuck it out and tried to make the best of it. So 5 years later im still at this company, although coincidently today I accepted a new job offer and pretty much owe the fantastic opportunity because I had to stick it out here.
Cant say it will always be the same but it sounds like you just miss the old place rather than hate the new place. I always feel crap for first month or so at new work place

Hi mate,

What are your goals? Are you looking to get on the property ladder?

If so then your old job won't help you to achieve that. It will get better mate and will be a great experience for you and a challenge. Just focus on why you left and what you want to gain, this will give you the motivation to stick it out.

I made a similar move a couple of years a go and sometimes even to this day I partially feel some regret but I would never have achieved my goals had I stayed. You need to think what you want and what you need to do to get there.

I was in a similar position, in a comfortable job, working with decent people, mostly, and enjoying myself. However, I knew there wasn't really room for me to develop myself at this company, that I'd probably be in the same position for 5-10 years. I looked for and found another job quite quickly, it was further to travel but more money and better opportunities. I took the new job and regretted it for the first few months, the training was terribly slow and I wasn't really doing what I expected to. I realised it would look pretty bad to new employers to have such a short period of employment on my CV so had to stick it out. It's not difficult or stressful, I just don't really enjoy it and don't feel like it's leading anywhere. I've been here 9 months now and I'm still doing a different job to the one I applied for, although that may be about to change, as soon as this week actually. I've decided that a year shows I gave it a go, so if the proposed changes that are supposed to be happening this week don't make a difference and I still feel discontented, I'm going to start looking for something else from June.

My advice would be to stick it out if you think you can. At worst you'll learn what to look for when looking for a new job, and will appreciate a better job more, and at best it'll all turn out well and you'll love it there.

BlueBearBoots said:
I was at my old job for 10 years and like you had become very comfortable, got on well with the bosses, knew all the clients and was very much left to my own devices. But I was bored and decided to look for a new job which I got very quickly and moved. I spent the first few months going home and crying thinking oh no what have I done, I hated my new job and there was one bloke who was absolute poison.

However it took me about 2 years to fully settle in and get to the point where I felt as comfortable as I did in my old job. Ive now been here over 9 years and love it. Looking back Im glad I moved for all sorts of reasons not least of which, money but the first 2 years were definitely hard going.

Hang in there - it will probably be worth it and no don't ever think about going back!
Brilliant advice! You've done the hard part in moving - don't go back!
Long-term, if it doesn't work out, go to company C. But give it time. It probably wasn't easy when you started at the last place all those years ago.
All the best & well done!

I'm probably at the stage just before where your at now mate.

I've got a pretty chilled job, my boss is decent pretty much just lets me get on with things and we have a good laugh although he's fairly quiet.

The situation im in is that I find my job a bit too easy, I'm on a fairly decent wage but I fancy a new challenge. The only thing that is stopping me is the fear of going to a new place and not feeling as content and comfortable as I am now. I guess it always takes a few months to find your feet and you can't expect to feel comfortable straight away as you don't know what you can and can't get away with.

I'm saving to move out at the moment and I think once I move out ill start looking for a new job. I suppose you never really know until you try, a lot of people don't like taking out of their comfort zone especially when it comes to work as everyone would prefer a stress free cushdy job working with decent people.

As far as the lad that you don't get on with is concerned. Every office has at least one absolute moron, I just hope that im not the moron in my office :)

not sure its a good idea to go back, you were fed up/ bored/ or whatever enough to leave once so who says it will be any better. you need to grow a pair and knuckle down in your new job, not many people are truly happy in their work so the fact you are on more money should make it bearable. if not then take a little time to see if it gets easier. meanwhile you can't go wrong by keeping an eye on other jobs that may come up.

many years ago I left a "safe" job, I wasn't paid my worth. on the last day of serving my notice the owner came to me and offered me a big rise to stay, I declined. 5 years later he rocked up and offered his business for sale. then I went back. I wouldn't have done so otherwise. look ahead rather than behind.

Worked at a company in Stalybridge for 18 months, loved it, decent money great bunch to work with etc, out of the blue got a call off an old workmate from years before about a vacancy doing the same trade at his place in Congleton, more money and easier shift pattern so I took it

I was there for 3 days and knew I had dropped a bollock, stuff your money I thought and went cap in hand back to my old boss, lucky enough he wanted me back so I went back after a fortnight and was there for another 17 years until I took early retirement nearly 2 years ago.....wish I had never took that now I miss the place that much!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.