New York City FC

You cannot really think there is an 'agenda' in NYCFC being shown week in, week out in the UK.

Given its ties to UK football and City Sky know that their games are far more likely to be watched here than one between two obscure teams.

You cannot spin that into a negative IMO.

It is purely a ratings calculation.

Why did lamps get booed?

Because he spent half a season sitting on our bench, not getting played, when he could've been starting every game in New York.

Also, the Premier League announcing outright that CFG had lied outright about him being on loan here, when he had in fact never even signed a contract with nycfc but instead joined us on a one year contract - that bit didn't help either.

They're not too happy about him agreeing to be a pundit for BBC at euro 2016 when he's supposed to be playing League games either.

Finally there's the issue that in the last couple of years it's become accepted MLS wisdom that signing fading former legends produces good publicity but unreliable players. Lampard has backed this up by missing something like 20 games with injury already and only making it in the pitch 11 times, and that's not including the time he was in Manchester.

A press article went into some length recently to explain how his signing was the worst decision in MLS history, and he's basically made their club the laughing stock of the league. CFG having lurched from one disaster to another, on and off the pitch, means that CFG are currently being held up as a model of bad club ownership in the US right now. It all combines into a pretty strong backlash against lampard in particular.

Vieira getting found out pretty quickly, assign to the David Platt category. Well done BWP, shame SWP didn't get on.
Wow! Inherited a shit team that is playing less shit this year, with the exception of this game against last year's top team. Smacks of the Prem in the early days, where the Red Bulls are United! Oh, and the analogy work seen better in that the new money that created NYCFC is now decried, even though the money in NYRB is even in the name and on their stadium...which is also NOT in the city of New York!

Because he spent half a season sitting on our bench, not getting played, when he could've been starting every game in New York.

Also, the Premier League announcing outright that CFG had lied outright about him being on loan here, when he had in fact never even signed a contract with nycfc but instead joined us on a one year contract - that bit didn't help either.

They're not too happy about him agreeing to be a pundit for BBC at euro 2016 when he's supposed to be playing League games either.

Finally there's the issue that in the last couple of years it's become accepted MLS wisdom that signing fading former legends produces good publicity but unreliable players. Lampard has backed this up by missing something like 20 games with injury already and only making it in the pitch 11 times, and that's not including the time he was in Manchester.

A press article went into some length recently to explain how his signing was the worst decision in MLS history, and he's basically made their club the laughing stock of the league. CFG having lurched from one disaster to another, on and off the pitch, means that CFG are currently being held up as a model of bad club ownership in the US right now. It all combines into a pretty strong backlash against lampard in particular.
Good analysis of how we got to booing a franchise player when he came on as a sub!

I could be wrong but I'm guessing this will be a one off and the game came at the worst possible time for NYCFC, they've looked so much better, offensively and defensively than that(well I watched the last two games and it was clear Paddy is a much better manager than Kreis).

As was discussed a few pages back people need to look at the distance NYCFC traveled in the week they played NYRB, I know the Red Bulls traveled too but I doubt anywhere near as far as Vancouver and Toronto in the same week, add to that their star players are both over 34y.o(when they aren't at it I imagine the team's kind of screwed), sprinkle in added pressures such as TV coverage, derby day rivalry pressure from fans and a delayed kick off...and you have a recipe for a pasting.

They were neither mentally or physically ready for the game - their legs weren't there, their concentration and positioning wasn't there and they wasted too much energy on pure emotion and tension at the start of the game(that can drain you just as much as anything in all sports, take boxing as an example). Well that's my take anyway but we'll see, I definitely believe Viera was starting to make true progress with the team and they were starting to buy into his philosophy.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I'm guessing this will be a one off and the game came at the worst possible time for NYCFC, they've looked so much better, offensively and defensively than that(well I watched the last two games and it was clear Paddy is a much better manager than Kreis).

As was discussed a few pages back people need to look at the distance NYCFC traveled in the week they played NYRB, I know the Red Bulls traveled too but I doubt anywhere near as far as Vancouver and Toronto in the same week, add to that there star players are both over 34y.o(when they aren't at it I imagine they are kind of screwed), sprinkle in added pressures such as TV coverage, derby day rivalry pressure from fans and a delayed kick off...and you have a recipe for a pasting.

They were neither mentally or physically ready for the game - their legs weren't there, their concentration and positioning wasn't there and they wasted too much energy on pure emotion and tension at the start of the game(that can drain you just as much as anything in all sports, take boxing as an example).

New york to Vancouver is a fairly long flight (6 1/2 hrs) Toronto to New York is only 1 1/2hrs.

New york to Vancouver is a fairly long flight (6 1/2 hrs) Toronto to New York is only 1 1/2hrs.
Yes it went Vancouver(nearly 3000 miles) > Toronto(still 500 miles) > New York in a 7 day span... flying late at night, fitting in time to train and media commitments. Not what you want before a derby.

Compare that with NYRB? Washington(225 miles) > Home Game > NYCFC

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.