New York in February

blue monkey

Anyone been around this time of year?...thinking of going with the girlfriend but not sure if the weather will be a tad extreme at this time of year!

I'm considering February too as it's my birthday month. It'll be cold, wet and icy though. However, it'll be cheaper.

If it's your first time there I'd go when the weather is good. I've been in May and it was very wet so June - August is probably best.

Been in Feb/Mar a few times & each time it's been bloody freezing. I'm talking getting windchill burn on your face as you're walking around. On the other hand, travelling on the tube is miles better as you can actually breath down there as opposed to the summer. Seeing NY under snow is a brilliant experience though, go for it pal.

Thinking of the luxury of a 5 star in Feb and it being baltic or a lesser hotel in May and it being decent weather

blue monkey said:
Thinking of the luxury of a 5 star in Feb and it being baltic or a lesser hotel in May and it being decent weather
I stayed in Newark and had to pay around £25 to Manhattan and back on a train a day. Your best bet for a cheap hotel is to stay in Queens and get a 7 day metro pass which costs $29 and can be used on buses and subway. Don't waste money on an expensive hotel as your spending money will get drained quickly.

Also, get a train to Philadelphia for the day. It's only 90 minutes away and a lovely place.

Banned Tosspot said:
blue monkey said:
I stayed in Newark and had to pay around £25 to Manhattan and back on a train a day. Your best bet for a cheap hotel is to stay in Queens and get a 7 day metro pass which costs $29 and can be used on buses and subway. Don't waste money on an expensive hotel as your spending money will get drained quickly.

Also, get a train to Philadelphia for the day. It's only 90 minutes away and a lovely place.

A hotel can make or break a holiday, but a good point - luxury is rarely worth the money compared to what else you can do with it. I stay at Hotel 57 which is decent and well placed.

Washington is also a good day trip

mammutly said:
If it's your first time in NYC, you will probably walk around a lot. It is cold in Feb but that might not be a bad thing.

This. I went for the first (and only) time in November and spent loads of time walking around. It was pretty fucking cold so make sure you've got a proper coat. It's probably better in March or April but I dunno how much that effects accommodation prices etc

Been in January....effin freezing and lots of snow. But that added to it's charm really, Loved it then. Far better than when went once in August, hot, humid and stinks to high heaven then...

Never will you get me in NY or Chicago in winter again.

It's hell, it is so unpleasant being outside you can't enjoy it imo.

I got to the sears tower and was more happy with the heating than how big it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.