North Stand Expansion

It’s below the roof still just as it is with the South Stand.

View attachment 114845

It would be interesting though if the CB and ES roofs can be supported on their own without the need for the loop now that the old roof loads of the NS and SS are not required to be supported.

I've seen that before, but it doesn't appear on other drawings or images so wasnt sure if it was just the way it is combined etc. Particularly as the cables to it look like they are the old ones which are presumably being removed.

Guess it will become apparent as it goes in a few months when we get to that stage. I'm open to both.

I doubt they will cut the CableNet its a pre-tensioned ring and has to remain in place to support the roof, as said above it wont be removed without changes to the existing roof system Here is a extract from the design study document
Roof structure
Concept and structural systems A central feature of The City of Manchester Stadium is its distinctive and dynamic form, key to which is the structural solution for supporting the roof. The roof structure essentially comprises two separate structural systems, the first providing primary structural support to the whole roof (the ‘cable-net’),and the secondary being a more conventional arrangement of rafters propped from the rear of the concrete bowl and hung towards their leading edges from the cable-net. The mast and cable-net roof primary structure uses a ‘grounded tension ring’ to create a prestress field against uplift wind loads. 12 cigar-shaped tubular steel masts up to 65m high support a total of 76 spiral strand forestay cables in fan-shaped groups of five or seven cables per mast. Each forestay supports an individual rafter. Just above the roof surface, all the forestay ends are connected by a system of four spiral strand cables that form the ‘grounded tension ring’ (also referred to as the ‘catenary’). Prestress to the catenary and cable-net is provided by four corner-ties anchored to the ground. The top of each column is tied back to the ground by pairs of back-stays comprising groups of Macalloy high tensile steel rods. This mast and cable-net system not only provides a highly efficient structure but also is central to the drama of the building’s architecture

1713451385445.png

My guess is the new supports are in place before the old ones being built around are removed this being a job for the close season with props in place Im sure the roof was designed to accommodate a level of damage to one of the supports in any case
These are the replacements 1713452004955.png no other changes to the cablenet it stays in place and will run below the new roofline like the south stand
I

Last edited:
It’s below the roof still just as it is with the South Stand.

View attachment 114845

It would be interesting though if the CB and ES roofs can be supported on their own without the need for the loop now that the old roof loads of the NS and SS are not required to be supported.

I think you are right, and I do a u-turn.

There it is on one of the fancier sections, below as you point out. Looks like they flipped it and the cable that is now at the top will be the bottom with the new one above it.

1000015323.jpg

Back full circle to tailspin's comment, it will be interesting to see how they anchor and transfer it. Probably where he previously pointed out in one of the visuals.

I think you are right, and I do a u-turn.

There it is on one of the fancier sections, below as you point out. Looks like they flipped it and the cable that is now at the top will be the bottom with the new one above it.

View attachment 114857

Back full circle to tailspin's comment, it will be interesting to see how they anchor and transfer it. Probably where he previously pointed out in one of the visuals.

Looks like this cable from the new support is at least partially supporting it.

IMG_9781.jpeg

Discussion on transport is important but I follow this thread for design drawings, photos of construction progress, and the drone footage. Keep 'em coming...

Are they actually removing the supports?

Do they not just stay in situ and the cables come out from either side of the skybar seating?
1713456807660.png

You are right, in the sense that the inner side of the tower is where this will connect to. Added the same as above to this section.

Although to stress for clarity. The two are not on the same plane. The skybar bit is inbetween the towers being built.

The purple and blue are for a sense of location, not all of it will physically be there, other than at the edges on either side of the overhang.

More for the benefit of everyone than to your post as such, and more for a sense of location relative to what is on site now than anything else.

View attachment 114822
Superb rendering

Totally valid, and actually prompted to add that photo below. But I think the exact same applies regardless.

I wasn't being flippant with my 'why not' btw. I will expand on that.

It wouldn't have originally been built in one piece, that wouldn't be possible. It would have been built in sections/segments. As such, then surely it can be repaired in sections, replaced in sections, or dismantled in sections. And if that's the case then those sections/segments can also be replaced with other sections of a different design or configuration, IF, they perform the same role.

I am assuming by the cable net, you guys mean the red and blue highlighted in image 1 below. Deliberately used two colours to show the north and stand segments of that, and where the break is, and it is a pretty clean one.

Then the same image with the proposals crudely overlaid. To me, it looks like the existing north stand portion of that is being replaced by the new roof higher up, and the rest of the east and west stopped at the vertical junction to it. It is how they restrain those ends that it could hinge on. But I don't see the cable net continuing, I see it interrupted and replaced for that portion of the stand. It doesn't seem to appear below the roof either. There is a clean break betwen GL N4 to N17, imo. Could be wrong.

View attachment 114841View attachment 114842

And an old image ofnthe cable net pre stand as mentioned by you and Phil

View attachment 114843
Hope that’s not our new stand. Will be proper gutted.:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.