On This Day 29th April 1970: E.C.W.C Final.

It was my first ever trip abroad. I was 16 and went with my mate Ray Kennedy.

Went with Gaytours haha and stopped in the Hotel Central.

Went in a posh cafe and had a cup of tea and it came in a glass cup in a stainless steel holder, with a slice of lemon and no milk! What the hell was that all about I thought haha

Soaking wet but a great experience, one I'll never forget.

Due to the Iron Curtain only one coachload of Gornik fans were allowed to attend. As they got off the coach they gave little paper Gornik flags like you put on sandcastles at Blackpool to City fans and some of us gave them our scarves.

Yes a long story and I`m sure most of you know but myself and my mate hitched it there and slept in the Prada Stadium for two nights with another 5 City fans.
Me and my mate found out where the team were staying up in the mountains and got a taxi to the hotel. I knew Glyn Pardoe and my name sake Alan Oakes well and they asked Joe Mercer if we could travel with them that Tuesday afternoon in the team coach to watch them train.
What an experience and all the players shook our hand as did Joe and Big Malc.
Wonderful stuff and it was a great season for us.
Happy memories.

On This Day 54 Years Ago:

European Cup Winners Cup Final 29th April 1970 Manchester City 2 Górnik Zabrze 1

View attachment 116555

View attachment 116554

A Passport To Glory:

Manchester City against Górnik Zabrze in the 1969/70 European Cup Winners' Cup Final at the Praterstadion in Vienna.

View attachment 116553

The only thing I don`t agree with, that Buzzer was not one of the subs as I was present on the Tuesday afternoon watching them train and he failed a fitness test.
He was absolutely gutted and likewise so were me and my mate.

Went to Zabrze in 2020.

There is a well maintained mural painted on a wall next to the railway station which details their run to the final, Its about 40 foot long.
They are very proud of this obviously.

Was hoping they could make the CL league one day and we could play them again.

They have a chance of the Conference League this season so can give united a good twating at least.
Nice dream but I don't think utd will get into the Conference League.

We beat Schalke 5-2 on aggregate in the semi final. There is a good article on bbc page today about that fallen giant.
Does, 11 managers in 12 years, poor recruitment, poor sales, mounting debts ring any bells?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.