On this day - Keegan Resigns

Keegan was appointed in May 2001 days after relegation was confirmed, he resigned on this day in 2005, someone who I knew who worked at the club back then said he wasn't happy that the club sold Anelka, but the club were in a difficult financial situation and only had 2 real assets one being Anelka the other being SWP and Keegan was reluctant to git rid of either

We had a great couple of years with him - that Championship winning season was brilliant and then he really helped us to re-establish as a Premier league team. But his transfer policy was to sign experienced players who were looking for one more chance - worked brilliantly with Berkovic and Bernabia. Mixed results with Anelka and Seaman - but disastrous with MacManaman and Fowler - not least that Bernstein left as a result. The excitement of 01-03 was replaced by inconsistent dirge and by the time of that defeat to Bolton the team looked uninspired and clueless and Keegan was just sinking into his coat - he didn't seem to know how to change things around. I was glad to see him go by that time and Pearce provided a bit of energy in the first bit of a season.

The things I remember Keegan fondly for were the whole of that Championship winning season - the 3-1 and 4-1 against United and seeing SWP flourish in the Premier League.

Loved Keegans team that ripped the championship up for arse paper. The best manager and team between Skip and Mancini. Made going to Maine Rd that first season a joy again and brought us a longed for victory over the rags got right up the piss cans nose. Always regretted we didn't hold a parade for the Championship win, I thought at the time this was a good as it would get. Twenty plus years later I know how mistaken I was.

Two fantastic seasons under KK. ProMotion seasons from the Championship and we did well once we were back in the premiership due to some shrewd signings.
Superb win at Anfield as well. ( with fans in the ground ).

We had a great couple of years with him - that Championship winning season was brilliant and then he really helped us to re-establish as a Premier league team. But his transfer policy was to sign experienced players who were looking for one more chance - worked brilliantly with Berkovic and Bernabia. Mixed results with Anelka and Seaman - but disastrous with MacManaman and Fowler - not least that Bernstein left as a result. The excitement of 01-03 was replaced by inconsistent dirge and by the time of that defeat to Bolton the team looked uninspired and clueless and Keegan was just sinking into his coat - he didn't seem to know how to change things around. I was glad to see him go by that time and Pearce provided a bit of energy in the first bit of a season.

The things I remember Keegan fondly for were the whole of that Championship winning season - the 3-1 and 4-1 against United and seeing SWP flourish in the Premier League.
Mixed with Anelka!? Without that signing we’d of been straight back to where Keegan found us in no time at all.

Agree with your broader point though, as always he always wanted that extra player, to the point we were used by scouse rejects as a final pay day, at the expense of the likes of Berkovic who had been key to us becoming an establish Prem side again.

I think the real damage he did, was spending vast sums on the likes of Vouso, Macken, Fowler etc al, that led to Bernstein going in protest, it was petering out but what a ride it was.

Pretty much how I felt about KK. I recall landing at Manchester Airport waiting for luggage when I first learned we'd appointed him. My thoughts were that he was tactically clueless, however my opinion soon changed as we steamrollered the league and then did OK in our first season back in the PL. I've many happy memories of those times, particularly as my son was then at the age of really 'getting into' City. We still watch the Blues together to this day and King Kev was instrumental in that. As we all know the Keegan era rather petered out during that final season and I remembered my initial thoughts as he reverted to becoming tactically clueless once again :-(
Nevertheless, I would still thank him for the good times.

Mixed with Anelka!? Without that signing we’d of been straight back to where Keegan found us in no time at all.

Agree with your broader point though, as always he always wanted that extra player, to the point we were used by scouse rejects as a final pay day, at the expense of the likes of Berkovic who had been key to us becoming an establish Prem side again.

I think the real damage he did, was spending vast sums on the likes of Vouso, Macken, Fowler etc al, that led to Bernstein going in protest, it was petering out but what a ride it was.
100% 1st thing Keegan did when winning promotion was build a spine Schmeichel (who did a job short term), Distin, Foe and Anelka who were all great signings at that time

Two wonderful champagne football seasons.
One warning sign season
One it’s all over season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.