One thing I've noticed this season

sboroMCFC

Mancini seems to have told our central defenders to push up and close down the opposition as quickly as possible. Kompany in particular is always leaving his position to quickly close down opposition players 25 yards from goal. I have nothing against pressing the opposition but when it doesn't work it can be disasterous. So many time this season Kompany has conceded needless freekicks and picked up bookings by making tackles 30 yards away from goal. Also, it drags our players out of place and creates space for the opposition.

What do you reckon? Is this because of the absence of De Jong breaking up the play in this position?

sboroMCFC said:
Mancini seems to have told our central defenders to push up and close down the opposition as quickly as possible. Kompany in particular is always leaving his position to quickly close down opposition players 25 yards from goal. I have nothing against pressing the opposition but when it doesn't work it can be disasterous. So many time this season Kompany has conceded needless freekicks and picked up bookings by making tackles 30 yards away from goal. Also, it drags our players out of place and creates space for the opposition.

What do you reckon? Is this because of the absence of De Jong breaking up the play in this position?
They are right to do this. Remember against the scum in the cup, wooney dropped deep to pick the ball up and nobody went with him so it allowed him to turn and pick out a pass wide on the right and then get on the end of the cross and score the first goal against us.
I am struggling to remember too many needless free kicks and bookings that Kompany has given away this season apart from the ridiculous straight red in that same game.

Mancini was right about this. He wanted to fill the big gap between midfield and defense imo, as in the past, we always saw opposition players made solo run into the penalty area freely while all our defenders just stood still and watched in their positions until it's too late too many times.

Hart Dog said:
when it goes wrong, a free kick slows the game down - all good defences do it, it's part of a decent game of football.

When it goes wrong we have a central defender out of position, we have central defenders being booked and sent off and dangerous free kicks.

Giving easy free kicks to teams like Stoke is very dangerous

sboroMCFC said:
Hart Dog said:
when it goes wrong, a free kick slows the game down - all good defences do it, it's part of a decent game of football.

When it goes wrong we have a central defender out of position, we have central defenders being booked and sent off and dangerous free kicks.

Giving easy free kicks to teams like Stoke is very dangerous

always more preferable than a goal, is it not?

Mancini has got it right on this. It is one of the reasons why we have conceded the least goals by any other Prem Team of 22 this year up to date.

We have had too many matches over the last two seasons where we haven't made a challenge until they are well into our half.

The AC/Barca match last night emphasised the need to close down at every opportunity. You deny a player time and he will make a mistake!

I remember in last season's semi-final at Wembley Mancini was going mad on the touchline urging the CBs to push up after the early pressure from the rags. It worked then and he seems to have carried it on this season with similar success overall.

SuperSilva said:
Mancini has got it right on this. It is one of the reasons why we have conceded the least goals by any other Prem Team of 22 this year up to date.

Agreed.

It works better than dropping so deep that a penalty or goal is inevitable as with previous city defences. I loved Dunne and Distin as a partnership but used to dread when someone did get through, we had to rely on Distin's pace to get us out of trouble and hope Dunne wouldn't give away a pen or score an OG while doing his last ditch defending.

I see where the OP is coming from in terms of it going wrong but I'd rather give a free kick away than a penalty. When we do it right, particularly at home, it's great watching our (best) back four pushing the opposition towards their own half.

It's made me think how much we've missed Kompany, Lescott and the usual full backs in the past few games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.