Our Defence

I would imagine that Pep's preferred back four is Walker, Stones, Laporte and Mendy (all players he bought or arranged to have bought). Otamendi has been good this year but it still prone to get caught out too far up the pitch and doesn't have the speed to get back quickly. He's also not very tall and is often beaten in the air by big players. If and when Stones get his head screwed back on properly I can only see Ota as his back up. I am assuming that in the long term Kompany will also be more of a back up.
Our problem is, and has been for years, the ball played into the space between our midfield and back four to pacy forwards. We seem to go into meltdown and forget how to defend. Cases in point the first and third goals yesterday. How I would love to see a Nigel Dejong type player closing down that space.
I think Pep will look to off load Stones and Kompany is obviously near the end.

We need a couple of pacey centre backs.

Our defence isn't really all its cracked up to be, i think it is sufficient enough when you consider the way we play but the truth is we have so much possession of the ball that opponents on the whole dont really have that many chances. when we are put under pressure and attacked we actually look quite vulnerable.

My GOD how dreadful we were at the back. Otamendi was fucking pathetic and Kompany, sans the goal, was almost as bad. Delph.... the less said the better. Danilo was the best of a bad, bad bunch.

Got to question what’s gone wrong, on the face of it Danilo and Delph had decent games but the 3 goals today were very cheap. Shit play from Danilo to give the free kick for the third but every goal was bang central so ultimately the responsibility of VK and Otamendi...

Not sure what the solution is but I think next season might see

Walker Stones Laporte Mendy

More than any other regular selection.

Porous through the middle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.