Pablo Maffeo - 2017/2018 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don`t understand how it would be beneficial for City to sell an academy player who is actually good enough to be a second choice RB at the age of 20. He is one of the best U21 RB`s in the world currently

You can’t just leave them on the bench. They need to be playing week in and week out.

You can’t just leave them on the bench. They need to be playing week in and week out.
Walker can`t play 60 games every season. Guess Maffeo would be happy with maybe 20 next year, while he is still learning, and he could become our first choice RB in a few years

Don`t understand how it would be beneficial for City to sell an academy player who is actually good enough to be a second choice RB at the age of 20. He is one of the best U21 RB`s in the world currently

It makes perfect sense as long as we get a decent fee and attach a buy back. Whether it was a mistake or not to buy Danilo, the money's already been spent, we've now got him, and at least for right now (probably not in the future) he's on par if not better that Maffeo. In the best case Maffeo goes, plays at a higher level, and we bring him back in a year or two a fully developed player, and in the worse case he's Kelechi and we've banked 25mm.

It makes perfect sense as long as we get a decent fee and attach a buy back. Whether it was a mistake or not to buy Danilo, the money's already been spent, we've now got him, and at least for right now (probably not in the future) he's on par if not better that Maffeo. In the best case Maffeo goes, plays at a higher level, and we bring him back in a year or two a fully developed player, and in the worse case he's Kelechi and we've banked 25mm.

He's being linked with Real Madrid & Atletico, and you think he's not ready to play a part in the squad. Danilo has already been ousted from second choice LB by a 20 year old attacking midfielder, I see no reason Maffeo wouldn't do the same job on the right.

Just out of interest, you've not actually watched any Girona games this season have you?

I guess there's nothing the club can do about it now. You can't ship out Danilo after one season like some damaged goods.

What makes you think Danilo is happy with his current role? He may well be the one pushing to leave in the summer, as he left Real Madrid precisely because he was unhappy with this role - actually he played more for Real!

Also a club like Valencia aren't going to be interesting in buying someone with a buy back clause.

He's being linked with Real Madrid & Atletico, and you think he's not ready to play a part in the squad. Danilo has already been ousted from second choice LB by a 20 year old attacking midfielder, I see no reason Maffeo wouldn't do the same job on the right.

Just out of interest, you've not actually watched any Girona games this season have you?
Agree. Would not be surprised if Danilo left us in the summer, because he probably wants to be a regular starter somewhere. Maffeo could take his place if he leaves.

I think buying Danilo for +30m Pound has ended Maffeo career with us.

Danilo wil stay for us as I doubt any club is willing to match his salary with us or pay even half of what we paid to Madrid.

Maffeo contract is until: 30.06.2019, so after this season he will have only 1 year left and will be sold for 4-8 million.

I watched the Bilbao and Barca games in full and a handful of others in part. It's not that I don't think he's ready to be in the squad, I just don't see how we can shift Danilo one year on for anything close to what we paid for him given the wages hes probably on. If we can I'm all for Maffeo sticking around, but if we can't we should sell him with a buyback (and if we can't get a buyback I wouldn't sell him and instead try to extend his contract). I think he needs to play next year but I don't see how that happens unless we can clear a space. That's my concern, it's not that I don't rate him.

Last edited:
I watched the Bilbao and Barca games in full and a handful of others in part. It's not that I don't think he's ready to be in the squad, I just don't see how we can shift Danilo one year on for anything close to what we paid for him given the wages hes probably on. If we can I'm all for Maffeo sticking around, but if we can't we should sell him with a buyback (and if we can't get a buyback I wouldn't sell him and instead try to extend his contract). I think he needs to play next year but I don't see how that happens unless we can clear a space. That's my concern, it's not that I don't rate him.
So I guess folks now agree with me that we overpaid for him.

I was often shouted down for pointing this out. It has nothing to do with Danilo's talent really, and I said as much at the time, paying 30 million plus for a backup Fullback is a rip-off.

And you are most likely to realize this when you want to move the player.

Like some have correctly pointed out, we are either gonna stick with Danilo and lose Maffeo ( terrible decision if you ask me) or we are going to sell Danilo for about 12 million so we can keep Maffeo.

This was so obvious in the summer :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.