Paul Power Turns 70

City_Shirts

Wishing a Happy 70th Birthday to former City skipper Paul Power.

With over 400 appearances to his name the boyhood blue simply saw it all during a distinguished eleven-year spell at the club, including Wembley finals, managerial merry-go-rounds, promotions & relegations while playing alongside some memorable team-mates along the way.

I always liked Paul Power, maybe not our best ever player and wasn't always the most popular, (was he not nicknamed 'Gladys' at the time.?)Maybe he didn't have the 'don't fuck with me' credentials of Gerry Gow or Nicky Reid but I always remember him giving 100% (he also always seemed to make the effort as captain to come and applaud the travelling City fans after matches)
That goal in the FA Cup Semi Final in 81 (which is often wrongly referred to as a free kick !) will always be one of my favourite City goals. Absolutely manic celebrations on the Holte End when that went In, brilliant atmosphere that day.
Really enjoyed that cup run (maybe not so much the final ofcourse) we could also have got to another ffinal that season but for a dubious reffing decision in the League Cup Semi against Liverpool (some things never change,!)
At the time a lot of us thought things were really 'on the up'. In truth it wasn't long before they started going the other way.
(When I look back on that last sentence though it does make results like yesterday seem all the sweeter for us FOCs.!)

Great servant to our club. He scored against Forest in 1981 which is the first game I can remember going to. And I remember him scoring the equaliser against Everton in the quarter final same season(81) and me going mad running around the house with the radio on. Then he scored again in the replay which I went a few days later. Great days :) Happy birthday Crazy horse.

Great servant to our club. He scored against Forest in 1981 which is the first game I can remember going to. And I remember him scoring the equaliser against Everton in the quarter final same season(81) and me going mad running around the house with the radio on. Then he scored again in the replay which I went a few days later. Great days :) Happy birthday Crazy horse.
Was crazy horse not Emlyn Hughes ?

Blimy I feel old, I remember going with my dad to the reserve games at Maine Road (central league I think it was called) & watching Paul start out on his career in football!

Happy birthday Skip.

As an aside just watched the Brian Horton interview on your channel. Great video thanks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.