Peak Man City vs Great Historial teams

SambaStyle

How does the Man City from March - May last season stack up against some of the recent great teams in history? I am of the belief that in general, the game moves on, new tactics and styles are developed. Teams from today, face far more in terms of opposition pressing than teams did from 15 years ago. Pep's Barcelona was the early adopter of current styles employed by top teams today and played futuristic to other teams back then, I am not convinced that version of 'tiki-taka' with a bunch of 5'6 players today would not get bowled over by a peak Klopp pressing team.

Barcelona 2009/2010
Bayern 2012/2013
Barcelona 2014/2014
Real Madrid 2016/2017
Bayern 2019/2020

Pep has improved over the years and we have the best version of him availiable. He has experienced different leagues and has moulded his team to have little to no weaknesses, last year he went with big, athletic players. I could see the current City bullying the early Barca team who wouldn't be used to someone matching them in ability (almost) and overpowering them in physicality.
65-35 City

Bayern from 2013 was a great team, but lacked a lethal finisher like Haaland, they had Mario Gomez as their top striker, so City over them, definitely out class them on a squad level too.
60-40 City

Barcelona with the trident of Neymar, Suarez and Messi is a problem. They could be physically out matched by this towering inferno though.
55-45 City

Real Madrid with BBC would be a good natural counter to peak City. Real match up physically and demonstrated an ability to beat teams similiar to current City that year.
50-50.

Bayern with Flick found some kind of goal scoring cheat code, this is another even tie.
50-50

I think Pep changes his tactics and style of play once he thinks other teams have sussed him.
It's obviously difficult to say, they are all great teams mentioned and wouldn't like to say who's best but the Centurions team would take some stopping, the Premier league did know what hit them

I don't know whether it's nostalgia talking, but for me Peps Barca side is the best team I've ever seen.
Their demolition of United in 2011 was in a final and was amazing. Messi at his peak about to turn 24 and the classic Pep line up.

City got close to that against Real Madrid, but it wasn't on neutral ground and you could argue Real’s defence wilted in the atmosphere.

Our treble side had more physicality than the other teams mentioned which could be an advantage but theres also the possibility Messi, Iniesta and David Villa are too fast and nippy and we concede from their intricate play.

Also, with regards to a peak Klopp pressing team bowling over the 09/11 Barca, United in that era had plenty of defensive talent and workhorses. And they got buried alive.

The likes of Xavi, Iniesta etc were that good because they knew how to read and react quicker than anyone else. They knew what to do based on the shoulder position they received the ball.

At the risk of sounding contrarian, I dont think this is the best City team ever. The 18/19 team was a marginal offside and a missed handball away from the UCL to me.
I’ll see your 18/19 team and raise you with the unparalleled beauty of the 20/21 false 9 team - a whirling wondrous side that blew everyone away. The nearest anyone has come to total football since the Dutch masters of the 1970s.

Top 4…..

Best Teams in History

RankTeamPeak DateEloCoach
ESP
Barcelona '12
2012-04-152110Pep Guardiola
GER
Bayern '14
2014-03-262106Pep Guardiola
ESP
Real Madrid '14
2014-05-012099Carlo Ancelotti
ENG
Man City '23
2023-09-212093Pep Guardiola

City’s current rating is 2042

City rating at any date

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.